Wilier cento UNO sr vs gran turismo

Little B
Little B Posts: 16
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi guys new to the site so hello to every one. was just wondering if any of you guys have tried either the wilier cento 1sr or the gran turismo I'm torn between them, I do like the cento UNO but some thing about the worn Matt black paint job, when you get close up puts me off looks almost worn and old maybe its just me, I love the red and white gran turismo to but it's so hard to find some one who has them in stock and a small frame

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Tri UK in Yeovil have both in stock, not sure on sizes though
  • Do you mean the Cento Uno or the new Cento Uno SR aka Spiderman's bike?

It's 'Uno' btw, as in 101 not U N O ;-)
  • Thanks yeovil is a long way from me I'm in essex! Thanks for the correction :) and yes spidy bike the sr
  • This is a great deal on an original Cento Uno i.e. the best one and a design classic, and it's in your size:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike

The GT pales in comparison (no offence GT owners).
  • ezk6ft.jpg

You can guess which one i prefer.

I felt the same about the matt black so I ordered fluro yellow; simples.

I'm not sure what you're basing the Cento Uno being better than the SR but I'd hazard a guess you haven't rode the SR for any distance.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • do not even hesitate - buy the Cento over the GT every time - I would even prefer the older model over the new (spiderman) version
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    This is a great deal on an original Cento Uno i.e. the best one and a design classic, and it's in your size:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike

The GT pales in comparison (no offence GT owners).

thegreatdivide is spot on, and that's a good find. There is a weight penalty for the GT over the Cento Uno, but that's only half the story. The Cento is a full on race-ready frameset, stiff and direct handling but which is comfy enough for all day riding. I am biased as I own the last model, but I think it was also the prettiest carbon frame out there. I have seen the new SR model up close and although I don't doubt it's a great frameset, it has lost it's good looks.
  • Many thanks for your views much appreciated, and thanks for the link I have seen that one and yeah it's a good deal just taking my time on decision, if I'm gonna blow that much money wanna make sure I'm positive, i have a custom fit on Tuesday to make sure I'm defiantly a small frame, so ill take it from there! I'm originally a mountain bike boy so this is my first road bike :)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The colour really isn't important but choosing the right one is.

The Cento Uno is a fantastic frame, and feels faster and stiffer than the Gran Turismo imo. The GT has a very laid back geometry, which is ok if you like the feel of that. My money would be on a CU, but get a test ride on both if possible.
  • I'm not sure what you're basing the Cento Uno being better than the SR but I'd hazard a guess you haven't rode the SR for any distance.

Old thread I know, but I have ridden a direct back-to-back comparison of the 2012 GT, 2012 Cento1, 2012 Cento1 SL, 2012 Zero7 & 2013 Cento1 SR. I then bought the 2012 Cento1.

I can wholeheartedly and honestly say that the 2012 Cento1 gave the best fit (taller head tube), comfort and overall ride quality for my desired priorities in a bike. It also looks way better than the others as an added bonus!

They are all great bikes but the original Cento1 design is WAY more comfy and smoother than the others, though the SL, 0.7 and the SR are definitely a little stiffer so likely a bit faster in a sprint or on a climb. But they are all quite jarring in comparison to the original. Overall the original has the best balance of ride characteristics for me - perfect handling, light, lively, stiff enough yet very smooth and comfy with perfect geometry for a good, comfortable all-day position. Someone else might prioritise stiffness and/or weight over smoothness, so choose one of the others, that is the beauty of bike choice and how it is very much like art!

As shorter distance out-and-out race bikes, the SR, SL and 0.7 are better. But I like my bikes to ride smooth. The Cento1 is smoother than a Roubaix (I have both)! And did I mention how beautiful that design is? The shapes of the frame and the finish is stunning. I like the GT's look too (in black/carbon), but not keen on the SR or the 0.7 aestehetically. Again, just opinions.

The GT is great if you want a classy, great handling, fast bike, but can't stretch to the Cento1. In fact I found it very similar as the SR to ride.

Basically they are all great but quite different.
  • Nice one! :-)
  • Lovely bike. Good choice.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Makes me feel envious... I love Wiliers (got a Mortirolo). Being an old s*d I've had a hankering after a GT but the new 2014 GTR color schemes don't appeal to me at all.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut