How much give should there be on a Headset?

Bigpapapowell
Bigpapapowell Posts: 46
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Sounds daft but just installed Superstar Uno headset onto a Prince albert, But When pulling on the pushing down on the front forks with the brake on, there's a mm or two of give, like its not tight enough, Is this right? if not where have I gone wrong?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there should be no movement other that rotational.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Common to do it all up and then it to settle slightly somewhere.....just do it again.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Check that your fork steerer isn't stopping the stem cap preloading the bearings properly. This can happen if the headset is a lower stack height and you don't run any spacers above the stem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you tighten the top cap or stem bolts first?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've only had a quick look earlier but I've think I've sussed it out, was minus a spacer, top cap wasn't doing its job, however I'm to shattered to look now, I will however look when I get back from work in tomorrow afternoon,

Very much appreciate the suggestions and until I've fixed the problem, your not finished!
  • Yep, as suspected last night, I missed out a spacer that left the stem sitting flush with the top of the steerer tube, this not allowing the top cap, bolt and star nut to do its job correctly! All sorted!
    If not a little embarrassing from my school boy error!

Many thanks to all who replied in your help,
    Always grately appreciated!