Squeezed the lever and piston wont retract on Hope Tech X2

Tom4
Tom4 Posts: 69
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Being new to hydraulic brakes i got some second hand Hope Tech X2 Evos through the post and instantly gave them a squeeze, however, after a few pumps I noticed the piston was just getting further and further out and not retracting.

Is this expected if you pull the lever when they are not fitted or could it mean they need bleeding etc?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Hope you didn't pay a great deal.

Yes that's normal.
  • Tom4
    Cheers, I probably paid slightly over the odds for them as they are the green special edition ones and wanted them to go with my build.

So is it just a case of pushing the piston back into the calliper?

Thinking I might aswell bleed and clean them aswell as I have probably got to size the lines anyway
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they didn't stay out they would be hopeless as the pads wore away as they wouldn't reach the disc!

Push them back - worth giving the piston a clean, it should be dry otherwise the seal would be leaking! I'm sure they'll work just as they did when new....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tom4
    Thanks, yep that makes sense i suppose :P
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Is the pad spring fitted? I cannot see from the picture.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yep as above try again with the pad spring and give piston a clean. Push a little as you have done and clean with IPA and a cotton bud. lubricate with the correct brake fluid and push them back in. repeat until clean and moving freely.