Superstar Brake adaptor thickness.

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just received some new superstar 180mm floating rotors and the corresponding post to post 180mm adaptor.

Once fitted the floating rotor was scraping on the adatopr, looking at it the superstar adaptor looks to be about 2mm thicker than any other adaptors I have in my toolbox. The superstar rotor is thick so I tried with a spare Hope floating rotor and that was the same, forks they are fitted to are rockshox reba.

Anyone else had this issue? is it a case that this why they are cheap?
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is one of the problems with floating rotors.

they do nothing to make things better and are a pain on most forks.

get the file out or send the rotors back.

as they will be rattling away in no time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scale20
    I have always had hope floating rotors and never had an issue with them. I'm going to nip to my LBS today to see if I can get a mount that's not as wide.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got 4 pairs of Superstar floaters I love 'em. Surprised you say the adaptor looks 2mm thicker than normal. The first Superstar adaptor I used was identical to Avid's finest - dimensionally there was no difference - and if anything the Superstar adaptor was better quality. Have also used Superstar's floaters with Hope, North Shore and Clarks adaptors & they all worked fine.

Only ever had one clearance issue that was with a 180 + Superstar adaptor and a Shimano M596. One of the buttons that hold the rotor to the spider was just a 'tiny' bit higher than the others and was catching the lowest part of the adaptor. 30 seconds with the flat file and it was sorted.
  • scale20
    Got to admit, the rotors are pretty good, and seem wel built.

I just got a shimano adaptor and again, the superstar one is about 2mm thicker. Because of this it doesnt sit flush with the forks post mount giving the rotor less clearance. Its the buttons that hold the spider to the rotor that are catching.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Pics?

No use to you but the Superstar 180 PM-PM adaptors I've got have all been fine. If anything it's the lower mounting tab on the caliper that might catch the buttons the adaptor itself has always been well clear aka the thickness of a credit card

If it's any help, when fitting them I try not to let the caliper self-centre I line everything up visually so the adaptor is central over the mounts and the caliper is central over the adaptor and rotor, then let the caliper sort out the pad positioning.
  • scale20
    Didnt get any pics sorry, the rotor has gone back to Superstar, it's no use to me.

I think I have figured out the issue. When you put the wheel on and tighten the maxle it pulls the fork legs in a little, probably about 3mm. When that happens the lower brake mount on the fork comes a lot closer to the rotor, the top one is fine. It doesnt give you hardly any clearance so by the looks of it I will only get away with using a standard rotor, even then the clearance will be tight.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.