Desired drops riding posistion

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited January 2013 in Road general
When on the drops, this is the position I most desire. I very much doubt, no matter how much I change the settings on my bike, that I'll ever achieve a position like this.

The amount of flexibility he achieves is quite simply, incredible!

Tom-Boonen-omega-pharma-quick-step.jpg

I don't have any images of myself of such, but if anyone does of themselves please post! :D

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Not as hard as you think. Do more yoga.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Good idea that!

Do you do it at home? Or a group session?
  • Gabbo wrote:
    When on the drops, this is the position I most desire...
    I don't have any images of myself of such, but if anyone does of themselves please post! :D
    Brings a whole new meaning to the term, Bottom Bracket.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Gabbo wrote:
    Good idea that!

Do you do it at home? Or a group session?

I do several groups. Fitness yoga, hot yoga, yoga-lates, etc. I sometimes incorporate sun salutations into my gym work and at home stretching.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Is the camp head tilt really that desirable?
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    InkZ wrote:
    Is the camp head tilt really that desirable?

Only if you want to be able to see where you are going :shock:
    At my age, in that position I wouldn't be able to see past the front wheel :D
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Poetry in Motion
    The bars may be low but they are close. Look at the angle of his upper arm, not stretched out at all. Getting leg power from this position takes a lot of growing up on the bike as a teenage cyclist. That is probably why Jonny Come Lately triathletes use their funny position to emulate this as best they can.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    erm... I don't think he is pedalling in that picture.
  • Grill wrote:
    Not as hard as you think. Do more yoga.
    How much is more? If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how long have you been doing yoga? Has your position on the bike changed much over time?
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Tom Dean wrote:
    erm... I don't think he is pedalling in that picture.

Exactly. He isn't pedalling, and he is descending (look at his fingers on the brakes).

Bonnen tends to ride fairly upright for a pro. In fact, most pictures of him tend to be of him riding on the hoods.
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Gabbo wrote:

The amount of flexibility he achieves is quite simply, incredible!

You must not have been to a china circus.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Boonen has short legs and a long body, so his proportions probably accentuate the apparent extremity of his position.

Getting really low can be counter-productive as it is shown to reduce power output - particularly if your quads are hitting your chest and restricting chest movement. Likewise, hands on the hoods with horizontal forearms can be more aero than hands on drops because of the reduced frontal area.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The guy in the pic is doing a Philip Gilbert, another words a 6ft dude riding a 50cm frame.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • pride4ever wrote:
    The guy in the pic is doing a Philip Gilbert, another words a 6ft dude riding a 50cm frame.

Not as such. Obviously this article refers to last year but you would expect him to be using a similarly proportioned custom frame: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-tom-boonens-specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl4-33549/

Obviously at 6ft 4 Boonen is going to look like a monster on most bikes. Photo angle doesn't necessarily help either.

Likewise here:
    roubaix12-boonen-solo-2-620x409.jpg
  • Actually, judging by the kit, more than likely the same bike in the article and the OP pic.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've seen one of Boonen's P-Rx winning bikes - it has something like a 54cm seattube with a 58cm toptube
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..