Replacement Light Bracket

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have a light like the one in the picture below, but I can't find a replacement mount. The bracket/mount in question is the one which actually screws into the light head (that can be rotated to change the mounting angle). A plastic o-ring broke off which now allows the screw to fall through the mount, instead of holding the mount to the light. I've tried using superglue to fix it, but it won't hold :cry:

Has anyone seen a replacement mount like it? Or have any idea on how else to mount the light to bars or helmet? Any help is appreciated!

511LyW8VJ3L.jpg

51zW6rvW3LL.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well it is really a where to buy post.

Moved,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    Araldite (epoxy resin) but I'm not sure it would work with the heat or silicone sealant would be worth a try.
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    I don't have one of them lights, so not exactly sure what you mean.
    Is it this screw that keeps falling out?

T2d8mkXhBXXXXXXXXX_!!185448926.jpg

Can you not use red thread locker on it/ use a rubber o-ring?
  • Greer_
    Yep its that screw but no, the hole that the screw goes into has a plastic ring at the other side to stop the screw falling out. That ring lets the screw body through, but not the screw head i.e. it stops the screw head falling out, but at the same time, its what stops the mount falling off. Its this ring that has broken off. I either need to reattach it, or somehow make the hole at the other end smaller to stop the screw falling out.

I may be sorted though as I think the guys have found a spare mount to send me. I wouldn't mind fixing this to have as a spare though.
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Hi

I have a magic shine light that used a similar bracket with the rubber bands to keep it on. I ditched this bracket and opted for a hope universal handlebar mount, which is used on vision 1 lights. Sell them on chain reaction for £7.99.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23533

Towny
  • Greer_
    That looks very good! Cheers, I might just do that instead. There's a few threads on STW about that mount that I never seen before, seems like a good idea!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    TownyDC wrote:
    Hi

I have a magic shine light that used a similar bracket with the rubber bands to keep it on. I ditched this bracket and opted for a hope universal handlebar mount, which is used on vision 1 lights. Sell them on chain reaction for £7.99.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23533

Towny

I looked at that but couldn't work out how it fitted, can you oblige with some pictures?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    One of mine broke aswell so i used a bit of spare time to do a bodge job.
    First i milled a channel on the concaved side and then using the industrial twinpack resins we use at work i reattached the bracket and used high strength thread lock on the screw. I then wrapped a simple zip-tie around the light body and bracket, the channel i milled was to accommodate the thickness of the ziptie. I then used flexible glue around the ziptie to keep it in place and to finish i cut another piece of adhesive foam to cover the ziptie(taken off to show the bodge job in the pics). Doesn't look fantastic but it didn't cost me anything and has survived a fair few knocks from branches (i use it as a helmet light now).
    I could have milled a rudementory bracket from some acetal or nylon but this method was far quicker and simpler.
    dsc0054xu.jpg
    dsc0055bv.jpg
    dsc0056kc.jpg
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Greer_
    :shock: :shock:

That's one way of getting round the problem! I'll see about this replacement first, and if it breaks too I reckon I'll just get that hope mount.