Ride London - Surrey 100

karlgwilly
karlgwilly Posts: 4
edited February 2013 in Road general
Afternoon,

Send a Cow (http://www.sendacow.org.uk) have places in the above but cannot afford the high advertising costs of the official site!

We just ask for £30 to register then £600 in fundraising but pay a £50 registration fee and get a place in the Bike Bath (60 or 100mile event) on 22/23 June - two events for the price of one! Register at http://www.sendacow.org.uk/baake-it :lol:

Comments

• xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    £600 is a hell of alot of money to raise.
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    xcmad wrote:
    £600 is a hell of alot of money to raise.

Depends where you work I guess... I raised £1650 for the BHF Route 66 ride in Dorset in 2011 purely from work colleagues. My employer doubled that to £3300 :D

It's difficult to raise that much from friends & family though...
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • Sadly, places aren't cheap to buy! Runners get asked to raise £2k for London Marathon and agreed it is getting harder to raise from friends and family so you have to put in a bit of effort and organise an event of some kind. People like to get something back so a buffet at your local curry house - get it for say £10 but ask friends for £20 - get 30 there and that's £300 - throw in a raffle for something, get it matched at work and you've done your fundraising and you're entered in 2 events!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So you ask 30 friends to arange their social lives around paying twice the face value of an Indian, so that you can do something that you want to do for free?
  • You tell your friends that you're riding in event for charity and the curry night is your fundraiser! Alternatively you opt to enter via the ballot and don't fundraise.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I registered for the 100 miler, didn't get in through the ballot.

Have been considering the countless offers from charities to fund raise and get a place that way but they are all asking for an awful lot of sponsorship.

What happens if I were to pay my £30 registration fee, promise to try and raise the £600 but despite my best efforts and nagging all of my skint, student friends, I am unable to reach the £600 target? Is my place on the ride forfeited?
  • Do you not enter a contract with the charity?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Do you not enter a contract with the charity?

If you do, what are the terms...
  • Do you not enter a contract with the charity?
    I don't think it's a legal contract.

The Cancer Research UK site says, of RL100:
    "All we ask is that you pay a £50 entry fee, as well as make a pledge to raise £650 for our research."
    Basically, they have to buy the places, so to make it worth their while, they ask people to raise money. I couldn't find any contractual stuff, and in reality, it would be so off-putting to say to people that effectively they are obliged to make up any shortfall, I can't believe they'd do it.

In their Ts&Cs section, they say:
    Supporter declaration

My responsibilities:

I agree to organise fundraising activities as an independent supporter of Cancer Research UK.
    I agree that any costs or risks that arise out of my fundraising activities are my responsibility, including liabilities for injury or loss which may occur to me, my helpers or guests.
    I am aware that Cancer Research UK’s insurance policy will not cover my fundraising activities.
    I will not do anything that threatens Cancer Research UK’s reputation or name. If I do, Cancer Research UK has the right to ask me to cease fundraising on their behalf.
    I understand Cancer Research UK cannot support dangerous activities such as parachute jumping.
    I agree to pay all proceeds of any fundraising event to Cancer Research UK within an agreed timescale and will not deduct any costs unless agreed in writing with Cancer Research UK.
    I agree to only use Cancer Research UK branded materials and the Cancer Research UK name and logo for my fundraising activities. I agree to use these in accordance with the Cancer Research UK brand guidelines.
    I consent that photographs taken during my fundraising activity may be used to publicise the work of Cancer Research UK generally.

There's nothing in that that forms any contract, and they're sending me a free jersey too!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in the ballot :cry:

Fortunately I was successful getting a place with Cancer Research UK. So I'm off to organise a curry, anyone interested?

If you want to logon to find out if you were successful in the ballot, then press the "Pay Now" button on this page:
    http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/P ... Ballot.htm
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in the ballot :cry:

Fortunately I was successful getting a place with Cancer Research UK. So I'm off to organise a curry, anyone interested?

If you want to logon to find out if you were successful in the ballot, then press the "Pay Now" button on this page:
    http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/P ... Ballot.htm

Thanks for that link Gizmodo. Looks like I'm in :D .

I've got a Charity Place but I'll hand that back and raise money for them instead on my LEJOG in September
  • I am in :D I had better get some training in.
  • How did you find out, I'm still waiting to hear.... :(
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
    Check out the link above.
    Check out the link above.

Don't you hate people who don't read threads properly.. .

Wish I hadn't now, I'm out. Gutted :(
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I didn't get an ballot place either :-( But I've still got an option hopefully of riding for a charity. I really hope I get one of their places.....
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    I didnt get in via the ballot but British heart foundation have offered me a place for 50 upfront, then the need to raise a minimum of 500!
  • Anonymous
    damov2 wrote:
    I didnt get in via the ballot but British heart foundation have offered me a place for 50 upfront, then the need to raise a minimum of 500!

Did you take up the BHF offer?
    Is the place guaranteed once you pay the £50 or is it a scam to get loads of registration fees?

Another charity I looked at wanted a registration fee but said place's would only be given dependant on factors such as who thought they could raise the most money :?

Would be a bummer to pay £50, then set up a justgiving page that automatically gives the charity money as it is donated, only to find you do not have a place.
    BHF must have a lot of places I guess.

Anyone know how the 'seeding' for start time is going to happen?
    Is it just based on the estimated time you put in the original application, and does a charity place link back into that if the status is now 'Cancelled'?
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    Carbonator wrote:
    damov2 wrote:

Did you take up the BHF offer?
    Is the place guaranteed once you pay the £50 or is it a scam to get loads of registration fees?

Another charity I looked at wanted a registration fee but said place's would only be given dependant on factors such as who thought they could raise the most money :?

Would be a bummer to pay £50, then set up a justgiving page that automatically gives the charity money as it is donated, only to find you do not have a place.
    BHF must have a lot of places I guess.

Anyone know how the 'seeding' for start time is going to happen?
    Is it just based on the estimated time you put in the original application, and does a charity place link back into that if the status is now 'Cancelled'?

Yes, its a certain place if you pay the £50.00 upfront and then raise the £500.00, but i did not take the offer. Im not exactly sure what happens if you can't raise the 500, you may have to make up the shortfull your self?
  • Anonymous
    damov2 wrote:
    Yes, its a certain place if you pay the £50.00 upfront and then raise the £500.00, but i did not take the offer. Im not exactly sure what happens if you can't raise the 500, you may have to make up the shortfull your self?

Signed up now.
    Yes, I am kind of expecting to pay a bit myself lol
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Me and my future son-in-law are in, got our invitation this morning :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

So now it's going to be a mad search for a hotel :roll:, bet the prices go up!

We did the ballot but agreed to donate our money if we didn't get in, I read that increased your chances?
  • Holiday Inn Stratford right next to the Olympic Park - was £141 for two nights inc breakfast this morning - check on Late Rooms.
  • Velonutter
    Holiday Inn Stratford right next to the Olympic Park - was £141 for two nights inc breakfast this morning - check on Late Rooms.

Cheers thanks for your help?

Thanks have booked in, they must have reserved some through Late rooms as no spaces direct.
  • Anonymous
    Velonutter wrote:
    Me and my future son-in-law are in, got our invitation this morning :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

We did the ballot but agreed to donate our money if we didn't get in, I read that increased your chances?

Well done :wink:
    Did you get in on the second draw then?
  • Velonutter
    Carbonator wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Well done :wink:
    Did you get in on the second draw then?

I just applied and agree to donate my fee if I didn't get in.

I'm not sure but having done loads of century rides, a load of sportives and L2P twice and for a 3rd time this year may have helped when you added the extra info in addition to saying that I ride 3+ times per week (in fact 5-6 times a week), perhaps they looked at the level of fitness of people.

In addition putting a 3+ by "How many times a week do you participate in 30 minutes of exercise?

Mark & I put similar information as we ride together and both got in.

HTH
  • kentphil
    I've got a place riding for Help the Hospices :-) Anyone else riding for them?
    2004 Giant TCR
  • KentPhil wrote:
    I've got a place riding for Help the Hospices :-) Anyone else riding for them?

Good cause, that. Not riding for them but I am for my local hospice as a standalone charity.
  • kentphil
    I've just posted on my facebook page, and I've already got loads of support in the last 15mins! Can't wait, going to be an amazing event.
    2004 Giant TCR