Replacement Rear Derailleur

Avaword
Avaword Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I'm new to mountain biking and pretty clueless when it comes to the mechanical side of things. I purchased a Coyote Freeway 29er back in May in last year to get me started on a quest to get fit and have been bitten by the bug! Now much fitter having used it to commute to work every day and weekend visits to Bedgebury trail park. I have over the months upgraded parts like handlebars, stem, seat, brakes and pedals and next up is the rear derailleur due to its fail on the way home last night!!!
The offending derailleur is a Shimano Altus with EZ fire STI levers running 21 gears which has needed a lot of attention (constant adjusting) and having ended up wrapped around my rear wheel will now need replacing.

Here's the question; a pal has suggested I go for the Shimano SLX m662 which I believe is good for 7,8 and 9 gear shifters but will the EZ fire STI levers be up to the job or will they also have to be upgraded? Also, whilst I'm upgrading/replacing the rear should the front be changed at the same time?
Thanks in advance.

Comments