PDM dopage

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Squeaky Dutch bum time
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Was always gonna happen. We've been saying this would come out after Rabobank pulled out.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Hardly a surprise given the whole '91 Tour thing. From a quick scan there doesn't appear to be anything on Kelly in there but I assume it covers the time frame when he was there.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Kelly was still at KAS in 1988, although I wouldn't for a moment suggest PDM were clean from 1989 onwards!
  • BigMat wrote:
    Kelly was still at KAS in 1988...

Lemond at PDM in '88. :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Google translate fail (i hope)
    Breeding is a meticulous man who understands his profession. He groped for years the best cycling legs Netherlands has to offer
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    Breeding is a meticulous man who understands his profession. He groped for years the best cycling legs Netherlands has to offer

Could explain why so many riders turned to drugs...
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:

Could explain why so many riders turned to drugs...

:lol:

Alternatively, maybe google translated Chasey as Breeding, I don't speak freaky deaky dutch.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Who actually gives a toss what happened in 1988?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Christ, at this rate agencies like UKAD will be interviewing Colin Lewis and anyone else still living who threw their legs over a bike and raced pro :roll:

Enuff already
  • prawny
    RichN95 wrote:

This lot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988#Deaths
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • RichN95.
    Christ, at this rate agencies like UKAD will be interviewing Colin Lewis and anyone else still living who threw their legs over a bike and raced pro :roll:

Enuff already
    Inviting all the Tour de France finishers to the 100th edition is just a ruse for a massive investigation. Apparently, there's a 92 year willing to spill the beans on a top ten finisher from 1954.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    RichN95 wrote:

Enuff already
    Inviting all the Tour de France finishers to the 100th edition is just a ruse for a massive investigation. Apparently, there's a 92 year willing to spill the beans on a top ten finisher from 1954.

Hopefuly they'll go after these guys and their nefarious endurance cigarettes

smoking-in-the-peloton.jpg?w=440&h=300&crop=1
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    RichN95 wrote:

People who claimed back in 1988 that pro cyclists were clean need this sort of thing rammed down their throats. Same way it should be rammed down your throat when you discover all your heroes from today turn out to be a bunch of cheats.

You should give a toss, there is a lot to be learned from the past. Today's team owners and coaches and administrators were around in 1988 for a start.
  • white noise white noise
  • The Dutch and Belgian Federations and AD agencies are going to working 24/7 at this rate

Thomas Dekker saying he'll now co-operate and cough up who's and how's from Rabobank days
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2013
    RichN95 wrote:

People who claimed back in 1988 that pro cyclists were clean need this sort of thing rammed down their throats. Same way it should be rammed down your throat when you discover all your heroes from today turn out to be a bunch of cheats.
    If you're going around gloating and saying 'I told you so' to people from 25 years ago then you are a sad, strange little man and you have my pity*.

While you're on your rounds make sure all those that said Kylie's pop career wouldn't last, the Berlin Wall is here to stay and Apple are better off without Steve Jobs also get it rammed down their throats.

*this is a quote from a film seven years in your future. Even though it's a cartoon I would highly recommend it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    Who actually gives a toss what happened in 1998?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    The Dutch and Belgian Federations and AD agencies are going to working 24/7 at this rate

Thomas Dekker saying he'll now co-operate and cough up who's and how's from Rabobank days

I told you so.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

You'd make a rubbish historian.
  • RichN95 wrote:

You'd make a rubbish historian.

If it leads to some sort of charge against guys who juiced up kids to the extent they died in their sleep, then I'm all for it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    RichN95 wrote:

People who claimed back in 1988 that pro cyclists were clean need this sort of thing rammed down their throats.

Who claimed that ? I remember 88 - and I didnt think it was clean.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    cougie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

People who claimed back in 1988 that pro cyclists were clean need this sort of thing rammed down their throats.

It was about the time that House music and raves started so definitely wasn't clean, Es getting popped everywhere you looked.
  • RichN95.
    cougie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

One of those listed actually tested positive at the 1988 Tour (he got deducted 10 minutes as punishment)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Respect for Gerrie Knetemann, only one of those 9 1988 PDM tour de france riders to have refused doping. Gives that 1978 world champs sprint win against Moser extra shine.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    cougie wrote:
    What, you knew about PED's back then. :?:
    That was a momentous year for me, when I changed from involvement in English domestic cycle racing to being free to spectate the continental racing scene whenever I felt like it and I got out on the bike some more and lost a stone or so in weight.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • deejay wrote:
    What, you knew about PED's back then. :?:

I started watching cycling in 1988, just after the Delgado thing was in the press, so I never had any sense that it was all clean.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I think we should get BADA and FADA to open a case on Anquetil and Eddy M. Lifebans back dated. Who cares about 25 years ago?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think it matters to people who followed Cycling back then.
    I must admit that Lemond was my hero at the time and I read all his books but didn't know about him being on PDM. I guess that if PDM was full of drugs, as some suggest; that would have meant that Lemond was in and around all that. Lemond is presently gunning for the top job in Cycling so the past is important.
    Plus a lot of riders from that era are still heavily involved in the back round of bike racing; pulling the strings.
    Neil Stephens, Yates, Breukink, Kelly, Sunderland and many others are all on the payroll of Teams.

Just a note, the most informative people in Cycling are the older boys on bikes who go out on a Sunday. They have stories that you'll never hear on this Forum. Top blokes!

Quick question- When PDM dropped out of the Tour de France in the early nineties it was said to be food poisoning at the time. I heard rumours about a dodgy batch of EPO might have been the cause. What's the latest on that? Any more confessions from the past?

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil