Seatpost advice

Quiet corner
Quiet corner Posts: 83
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting a new post to replace my stock Ritchey Comp 27.2.

Currently looking for something light and strong like a Thomson Elite but also looking at carbon. I'm 6ft and 16 stone.
Any suggestions that offer good value for money and does carbon really make much difference to trail buzz?

Thanks,
QC

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Exotic Carbon.

But is the one you have that bad? the Thomson will probably be no lighter.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Pretty pointless upgrade, you'll save mere grams, if anything at all. Buy some tyres if the money is burning a hole in your pocket.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thomson are far from light, I suspect your 'upgrade' will be a downgrade.....

It's not hard to remove and weigh a seatpost, what does your's weigh?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Pretty pointless upgrade, you'll save mere grams, if anything at all. Buy some tyres if the money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Great suggestion considering you have no idea what he has at the moment, plus it appears he isn't just interested in weight he did ask about the feel of it vs alu.
  • Cheers for the reply guys. My comp post weighs 268g so not exactly heavy. I have managed to bend it hence looking to upgrade. Any thoughts re the feel of carbon vs Alu and are carbon as strong generally speaking?

Cheers
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Currently looking for something light and strong like a Thomson Elite but also looking at carbon
    If your bike has a slack seat tube you may find the Thomson clamp fixing bolts are too short to get the saddle at the right angle. Have also got a couple of cf seatposts they feel exactly the same as aluminium posts

Have a look on Superstar their simple seatposts are pretty good. Not the lightest but tough and good quality.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Carbon can be made to have a bit of flex whilst retaining good strength - but it does depend on the post.

As above, the superstar is a good offering - I run one on my Specialized. The 27.2 is the same weight as a Thomson, yet 1/3rd the price.

The Exotic will save weight, but is more of a XC affair - only use if you are careful with it. It does reduce a bit of buzz
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Briggo wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Great suggestion considering you have no idea what he has at the moment, plus it appears he isn't just interested in weight he did ask about the feel of it vs alu.
    He has a Ritchey comp seatpost. I suggested tyres because they're more likely to make much more difference in reducing trail buzz than a seatpost will.

However seeing that you've bent your seatpost, I can also vouch for the superstar posts, I have a layback one and it does what it says on the tin and looks alright too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I cant offer any more advice than avoid single bolt clamps as at our weight they have a tendency to loosen and strip the grooves on the post/clamp,
    ive an easton ea70post in 27.2 which has quite a bit of flex in it but over the past 2 years has been faultless,
    I'm 16 stone unkitted and ride a hardtail so a bit harsher on posts than a full suss.
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481