SPD vs SPD-SL - HELP!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    notsoblue wrote:
    On walkability, SPD shoes are only relatively walkable compared to road cleat shoes. I bought a "normal" looking shoe with SPD cleat and while it looked ok, it was still pretty uncomfortable to walk in for any distance because the shoe needs to be very rigid to function properly as a cycling shoe.
    No so with a good pair of touring shoes - the toe area is flexible so you can walk properly, but the cleat to heel is stiff(ish) to allow it to function reasonably well. I've used these for walking around towns and cities (while touring) and running along platforms to catch numerous trains. No probs at all.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I'm happy enough walking in my spesh comp mtb shoes and my shimano AM45 (which to be fair I'd weat down the pub quite happily too), I went to costa in my road shoes and looked like a tw4t, and that was before I feel over.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    +1 this
    prawny wrote:
    2. In the event of a terminal mechanical a couple of rides from home I'd rather have the option to walk as there's no PT on my route to work/home. I wouldn't want to have to walk too far in my road shoes.

and this
    notsoblue wrote:
    On walkability, SPD shoes are only relatively walkable compared to road cleat shoes. I bought a "normal" looking shoe with SPD cleat and while it looked ok, it was still pretty uncomfortable to walk in for any distance because the shoe needs to be very rigid to function properly as a cycling shoe.

I've walked 6 miles home in a pair of SPD shoes (Shimano MTB style ones) without a problem (two punctures took out both tubes)

I have Shimano MT42s as my only shoe at the moment and quite happily walked 2-3 miles home from the LBS when I dropped it off after my 'collision' in the summer. In SPD-SLs I would have been lucky to get 500 yds :-).

With respect to 'power-transfer' I would be changing my shoe before worrying about the difference between SPDs and SPD-SLs; I did read somewhere recently that this difference between the pedal types was marginal. I would have thought stiffer soled and more supportive shoes were going to make more of an impact. I'm currently looking out for a good deal on Shimano M087Ls.

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have walked about 1 and half miles in SL's after a double puncture it is no fun.

I often toy with the idea of converting to SPD (I have only ever used SL), but cant find any SPD shoes that I like.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Roastie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    No so with a good pair of touring shoes - the toe area is flexible so you can walk properly, but the cleat to heel is stiff(ish) to allow it to function reasonably well. I've used these for walking around towns and cities (while touring) and running along platforms to catch numerous trains. No probs at all.

Interesting, which shoes do you have?
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    notsoblue wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Interesting, which shoes do you have?
    They're a knackered old pair of Specialized touring shoes - long since discontinued (but they are pig ugly so I'm not surprised). I'm actually in the process of looking for a replacement pair - I'll post when I find something similar! They are nothing like my CX/XC shoes, which are stiff and a little annoying to walk in for any great distance.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:
    I have walked about 1 and half miles in SL's after a double puncture it is no fun.

I often toy with the idea of converting to SPD (I have only ever used SL), but cant find any SPD shoes that I like.

Maybe these?

FWHPA2YGR8OQGOF.LARGE.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:

The shoes I was referring to are kinda similar to that.
    specialized-bg-sport-touring-shoe.jpg

The base looks alot like the above, and its almost entirely rigid. Pretty uncomfortable for walking in! These may be different though...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rubertoe wrote:

Maybe these?

pretty :oops:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Maybe these?

What colour socks might one wear with these do you think?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • prawny
    rubertoe wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Maybe these?

What colour socks might one wear with these do you think?

Sheer?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Pedals came next day and shoes the day after (today). Awesome quick turn around and very good for free delivery from CRC/Royal Mail.

I'll fettle the pedals on tonight and give 'em a whirl on the weekend.
  • prawny
    Lucky you, I ordered a bag from Wiggle last friday, still no sign. Humph.

I blame wiggle.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Been wondering about this.

I currently use some M980 (XTR) pedals, so top of the range for SPD paired with shoes from Aldi.

I've been thinking (probably for Christmas!) of getting some better shoes than the Aldi ones but wonder if it's worth going to SPD-SL at the same time, and would I see much advantage in going SL compared to buying a decent pair of SPD shoes for a similar price.

I don't commute and most of my rides are training loops or sportives. I like being able to walk around in my SPD shoes but if SPD-SL gave better power transfer and were lighter then I'd be prepared to put up with the walking issues.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've used both.
    If I were forced at gunpoint to make a choice of one or the other to use for the rest of my life, it would be SPDs, but if I only did sportives/training rides I would probably choose SLs. There isn't much in it but SPDs give more flexibility i.e. you can walk in them, than SLs.
    SLs probably do give better power transfer/more stable platform etc but that isn't really a factor for me. I would imagine you'd get more bang for your buck going for lighter SPD shoes than buying new SL pedals and shoes at the same price.

Either way, I don't think either option is terrible or will get you laughed at.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Thanks. I did notice quite a difference when I went from M505 (cheapest of the cheap SPD) to M980 (most expensive!) pedals, more so than changing my frame believe it or not!

But I've been wondering about some really good SPD shoes, as I already have good SPD pedals, vs getting some ok SPD-SL and pedals. As I can spend a bit more on SPD as I already have the pedals whereas with SL I'd have to buy the pedals too.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Well I've been using SLs for a few months now.

I got the cheaper R540 pedals and R088 wide fit shoes. Total cost about £70. Spent about the same on the SPDs, all Shimano, obvs.

My SPD shoes were quite a bit heavier than the SLs, so the SLs feel more nimble. The SPDs probably make me less efficient and use more energy than the SLs. You go faster in SLs.
    With SLs you can pull up with (a lot) more effort an confidence than SPDs - I instantly became a better hill climber. You go faster in SLs.
    SPD cleats last a lot longer than SLs - I'm on my 2nd pair of SL cleats. DON'T walk any further than you have to in SLs. SPDs are the cheaper option.

If you like going fast get SLs. I will probably upgrade to better shoes and pedals at some point as I suspect that better shoes and pedals (carbon?) will have even more, albeit marginal, gains???
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I use SPD-R on my commuter (fixed) as they can be cranked up really tight. And they have a metal cleat that you can run down the side of a car.

Shame they don't make them anymore. I have SPD-SL on everything else and the cleats seem to be made from cheese.
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    Well I've been using SLs for a few months now.

I got the cheaper R540 pedals and R088 wide fit shoes. Total cost about £70. Spent about the same on the SPDs, all Shimano, obvs.

My SPD shoes were quite a bit heavier than the SLs, so the SLs feel more nimble. The SPDs probably make me less efficient and use more energy than the SLs. You go faster in SLs.
    With SLs you can pull up with (a lot) more effort an confidence than SPDs - I instantly became a better hill climber. You go faster in SLs.
    SPD cleats last a lot longer than SLs - I'm on my 2nd pair of SL cleats. DON'T walk any further than you have to in SLs. SPDs are the cheaper option.

If you like going fast get SLs. I will probably upgrade to better shoes and pedals at some point as I suspect that better shoes and pedals (carbon?) will have even more, albeit marginal, gains???[/quote

You don't make things easy :D
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002

So you carry these around on the off-chance of a terminal mechanical 5 miles from home?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Mad_Malx wrote:

So you carry these around on the off-chance of a terminal mechanical 5 miles from home?

No. I carry them during a sportive or long distance in case I do. Or if I'm biking somewhere that will finish in a field.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Personally, I would go SPD over SL every time as it's a much more flexible system. If you get race shoes and XTR pedals then the power transfer is every bit as good as the SL system in my opinion. At the same time, you can also get leisure shoes which are more flexible and therefore much more usable off the bike. I've never yet seen an SL shoe that is of any use off the bike and, as has been attested here, the cleats wear very fast.

When I race or undertake a long ride I use my race shoes ... when I commute I use 'trainers' with cleats. But, if need be, all my shoes work with all my pedals and all my bikes ... so all I have to choose is the right shoe for the use.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

The shoes I was referring to are kinda similar to that.
    specialized-bg-sport-touring-shoe.jpg

The base looks alot like the above, and its almost entirely rigid. Pretty uncomfortable for walking in! These may be different though...

These?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sport-rbx-road-shoe-ec053022

I have some, they're not great for walking - the cleat is only just recessed, so they're fine on any smooth floor but on pavement - crunch, skip.

That said, the other half - A520 pedals - I quite like (single sided with a nice platform to push on when clipped in).
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    I use an older version of these:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sidi-eagle-5-fit-mtb-shoe/
    Older as in 10 years old and still as good as new, therefore making them value for money in the long run.
    Ultra comfortable (for me) and a really stiff sole which is the compromise between power transfer and walking ability.

When the time comes, my next pair may well be whatever the latest version of the Drako is, on sale prices obviously.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • SPDs for me, as I have to walk to and from the bike shed at work, and up and down a few flights of stairs to get to the office... but I just leave a pair of shoes at work to wear at work. No carrying them around, they just stay under my desk. Simples. :-)
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )