Headset Bearing Replacement

tedtheshed
tedtheshed Posts: 21
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I've recently noticed the headset on my GT Avalanche isn't feeling as smooth as it should do. I've had the bearings out and given them a good clean/re-grease but it still feels/sounds 'scratchy' rather than smooth. The headset's not been overtensioned, so I'm thinking the bearings might just be ready for replacing - although they spin freely they do look dull. The bike's just over a year old so I wasn't expecting to have to replace the bearings at this stage, but it's had a couple of trailside cleans with a bottle of water and muc off so I imagine some water/dirt must have got in there at some point.

The headset's an FSA no. 10 and the bearings are 5/32" with a 20 ball retainer (50mm outside diameter). I've seen loads of retainers with 16 or 22 balls, but can't find a new 20 ball retainer anywhere. Will it make a difference if I fit a 22 ball retainer, assuming it's still the same OD and same size bearings? I know I could just buy the loose bearings and replace them in the old cage, but the bike's my daily commuter too and I don't want to risk bending the cage without having a replacement (plus the cage is looking pretty worn too). I don't have a repair stand at home and don't fancy trying to pack loose bearings in there.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just get the whole lot changed.

any semi integrated/Zero stack/internal headset will do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheers for the advice Nick. What would you recommend as a reliable alternative?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Have you picked of the seal of the cartridge bearing it self. The bearings are not serviceable. Replace the whole thing. Token do some good headsets. Cheap as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Will take a look at the token ones mate, thanks for the recommendation.

The one iv got fitted is loose bearing (in a retainer) not cartridge.
  • I bought the Superstar Components Integrato headset to replace the FSA No.10 on my 2010 Cube LTD Pro. It's on offer at the moment for £21.59 and it's definitely worth it, especially as it has sealed bearings. If you don't have the tools to remove your old cups and fit the new ones, pay your LBS to do it. Here's the link: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=114
  • Cheers for the reply, I was looking at the Superstar one last night, it gets great reviews. Definitely going to be an lbs job.

Did you replace yours because of the same problem or were you just upgrading?
  • Yes, although my headset seized-up completely because the caged bearings had rusted quite badly! My LBS charged £17.50 to replace the bearings, so this time I thought I might as well get a new headset with the advantage of sealed bearings. A different LBS wanted £20 to replace the whole headset but I decided to buy my own tools as I've a family load of bikes to look after. I got the headset removing tool for £15 on eBay and a headset press for £35 on sale at Wiggle. Superstar also sell replacement sealed bearings for only £8 and they are very easy to fit (just need allen keys to undo the top-cap and stem bolts): http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=282
  • Just to clarify: this was the second time that the caged bearings needed replacing.
  • Sounds like it's definitely worth getting a new headset rather than replacing bearings then.

Tempted to buy the tools in case I need to do it again in future but I think I need to get a workstand first, when I took the bearings out to clean them it was a nightmare getting it all back together again!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just get a decent headset with cartridge bearings fitted by the LBS then you dont need any tools to change the bearings later as they are removed and fitted by finger. the cups stay in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    nicklouse wrote:
    just get a decent headset with cartridge bearings fitted by the LBS then you dont need any tools to change the bearings later as they are removed and fitted by finger. the cups stay in.

aha...good strategy.