Tax Return

2»

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    VTech wrote:
    pdstsp wrote:
    Nothing like those numbers - they pick a small number at random but the majority are targeted at people whose return shows anomalies from the expected. For the self-employed this is things like lower profit margins than the industry standard, or higher overheads. Basically most are targeted at high risk individuals.
    I act for around 200 cases and have had 3 enquiries since self-assessment was introduced.
    I wouldn't worry so long as you have been honest and accurate.

Is it true that the Inland Revenue take a dim view of organisations and companies that employ people on a self employed contractual basis year after year?

Its illegal so I guess they do.

It's not illegal, but it may open up a challenge as to the contractors status as self-employed and hence lead to increased tax/National Insurance liabilities.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    pdstsp wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    pdstsp wrote:
    Nothing like those numbers - they pick a small number at random but the majority are targeted at people whose return shows anomalies from the expected. For the self-employed this is things like lower profit margins than the industry standard, or higher overheads. Basically most are targeted at high risk individuals.
    I act for around 200 cases and have had 3 enquiries since self-assessment was introduced.
    I wouldn't worry so long as you have been honest and accurate.

Is it true that the Inland Revenue take a dim view of organisations and companies that employ people on a self employed contractual basis year after year?

Its illegal so I guess they do.

It's not illegal, but it may open up a challenge as to the contractors status as self-employed and hence lead to increased tax/National Insurance liabilities.

Good luck questioning VTechs knowledge :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    :) Yeah - realised as I pressed "submit" but thought hey ho what the hell.