Hill climbing bars

aiwa_yamaha
aiwa_yamaha Posts: 137
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all

Fairly new to road cycling but a very experienced bike rider. I want to know what type of handle bar would be best for general cycling but mostly good and hill climbing. I used to have a DMR mountain bike also with wide bars and i used to use alot of upper body strength to help push down on my legs. Would a 44cm bar be good. Been looking at the cavendish sprint bar as it seems to be fairly straight also and not curved. My best strength in road cycling is being a climber so i want to work on this even more. If it helps i have the 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Thanks alot, James

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Whichever bar is comfiest in use.
  • Well i would like to think there is a better bar for me out there so hopefully so good advice on hill climbing bars would be cool. The standard ones feel about to close
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    I prefer a bar with fairly straight tops for climbing so I can fit my hands comfortably on the flat part. As for width, it's going to be entirely down to your comfort - no-one on here can tell you what width you need.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I reckon you will get as many varied replies as to the question "what's the best position for climbing"...and the only answer to that one is "whatever suits".
  • Although I'm a short arse I've got wide shoulders and my bike fit said 44cm c-c, but riding this felt wrong, so now I ride a 40cm c-c Ritchey Evo Curve which I find really comfortable when climbing on the tops with its slightly swept back design and nice tight control in the drops going down the other side.

But as above, bars are a personal thing and you’ll need to go out and try some or get a fit. Some bars have a flat top which is meant to be more comfortable when climbing so you could check those out.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    What about some flat mountain bike bars with some bar ends?
  • You could chop the drops off:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/pro ... -bike.html

That bike is nuts :-)
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I thought this topic was going to be about food! :D
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    DaveM399 wrote:
    I thought this topic was going to be about food! :D

Would probably be more useful
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    stating the obvious, isn't the cavendish sprint bar good for sprinting ? :)