Hoste nabbed

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2013 in Pro race
A bit late but suspect passport

Also, French rider Houanard banned for 2 years for EPO use.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• I recall someone on here - you, Iain? Rick? saying good/good riddance when Horste announced his retirement late last year...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If Hoste did dope then he should ask for his money back.

The second one must be a mistake, French riders don't dope.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    The man's retired. Couldn't they just leif him alone?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:

You can leif a horste to water but you cant make him dope
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Oh my, that is a surprise. I suppose that may explain why he got dropped/couldn't find a team. Loser.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I guess he could only afford to dope between March and April.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Timoid. wrote:

You can leif a horste to water but you cant make him dope

Obviously took a Leif out of Armstrongs book.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I guess he could only afford to dope between March and April.

It turned him from a donkey into a three legged horse.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    This could be a good time to mention my "UCI just kick out the no name riders rather than let people concentrate on the big riders" theory

Certainly a good bit of publicity for them, not like anything else is happening at the moment...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Oh my, that is a surprise. I suppose that may explain why he got dropped/couldn't find a team. Loser.

Shame, I always liked Hoste. The ugliest pro cyclist of all.

Funnily enough I was looking at his palmeres earlie today, just out of interest. I think calling a man with the below record (plus a DQ from 2nd in PR due to the level crossing incident) a loser is very harsh.

3x Belgian National TT Champion
    3 Das of De Panne Overall
    2nd in Flanders Twice
    3 top tens at PR
    2 2nds in KBK
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Although I would add he seems to have been Hosted by his own Petard.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Oh my, that is a surprise. I suppose that may explain why he got dropped/couldn't find a team. Loser.

Funnily enough I was looking at his palmeres earlie today, just out of interest. I think calling a man with the below record (plus a DQ from 2nd in PR due to the level crossing incident) a loser is very harsh.

2nd in Flanders Twice
    3 top tens at PR
    2 2nds in KBK

That he doped. His placing are excellent yes but if he used artificial means to achieve them then they are a lot less worthy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Of the generation of classics riders he was getting beat by, the likes of Van Petegam, Museeuw etc, I wouldn't think he was anything out of the ordinary.

I take it you're all turned around on your Valverde "it doesn't make any difference, he'd get results anyway" argument?

@gietvangent
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333

2nd in Flanders Twice
    3 top tens at PR
    2 2nds in KBK

That he doped. His placing are excellent yes but if he used artificial means to achieve them then they are a lot less worthy.

How does that compare to Contador?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

src_1350938997092.jpg
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

2nd in Flanders Twice
    3 top tens at PR
    2 2nds in KBK

How do you clean snot-rockets out of a keyboard?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • frenchfighter
    Lightweights, you need to try harder.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Just give an opinion... what's the difference between Hoste, whose record you view as unworthy in light of this and Valverde's which you defended for ages?

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Lets not get hot under the collar. I view Valverde's previous placings definitely in a lesser light. A change of opinion after perusing much more information etc is not something to belittle - it is the people who refuse to change that you should be worried about.

There is the little fact that Valverde continues to place highly and race excitingly. So I can admire his performances now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Lets not get hot under the collar. I view Valverde's previous placings definitely in a lesser light. A change of opinion after perusing much more information etc is not something to belittle - it is the people who refuse to change that you should be worried about.

There is the little fact that Valverde continues to place highly and race excitingly.
    So I can admire his performances now.

Erm...yes...and that rather neatly sums up why his performances are treated with scepticism in some quarters
  • Lets not get hot under the collar. I view Valverde's previous placings definitely in a lesser light. A change of opinion after perusing much more information etc is not something to belittle - it is the people who refuse to change that you should be worried about.

There is the little fact that Valverde continues to place highly and race excitingly. So I can admire his performances now.

I'm not belittling you at all. I was unaware of your shift in perception. Takes courage to alter ones views based on evidence.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah I remember the battles we had on Valverde...seems an age away!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • This is obviously the reason that we now are seeing more riders competing well into their 40's.
    Once riders retire, they become cost effective targets for justifying the validity of the biological passport system.

In other news today, Alberto Contador said that he plans to rider all 3 GTs in one season..........2040.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Of the generation of classics riders he was getting beat by, the likes of Van Petegam, Museeuw etc, I wouldn't think he was anything out of the ordinary.

I take it you're all turned around on your Valverde "it doesn't make any difference, he'd get results anyway" argument?

He was very popular in Belgium though.

I know that's a joke elsewhere, but this is a cycling forum ;).
  • He loses his appeal. 2yrs + 150k euro fine.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • He loses his appeal. 2yrs + 150k euro fine.

Wow That's a big fine for a cyclist... I wish footballers were charged proportionately... like 3 million or so!
    left the forum March 2023
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    They were only doing the same as everyone else at the time. How can you have a grudge against Valverde, because he was busted and others weren't? If we remember he didn't fail a test.

Of course I very much doubt he is doping these days...

I actually admire the guy. His performances last year were the epitome of never giving up. No matter how many times he was dropped he came back to challenge pretty much every time. Furthermore after his puncture he rode for Nairo without any complaints.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

FrenchFighter saves his best for last. Impeccable. Fantastic. This above quote sums up Bikeradar forums to me.

We've had our differences FF but happy new year, have a great night.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    sjmclean wrote:

FrenchFighter saves his best for last. Impeccable. Fantastic. This above quote sums up Bikeradar forums to me.

We've had our differences FF but happy new year, have a great night.

Wrong on only one point. He cheated so they are totally worthless. :(