PC anti virus software recommendations

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
The Kaspersky av is about to expire.. at 40 quid for a year it's a bit steep, and thats with a tenner off
Any suggestions for good free av to run well on Windows7?

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    If you have BT Internet, MacAfee comes free and has done me well for years. Alternatively Zone Alarm is a pretty good freebie which you can pay to upgrade.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I've been using Avast! antivirus for years and the free version has always done a pretty good job, although it's a fairly basic package.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Avast! is OK.

I think Microsoft Security Essentials is about as good as it gets in terms of free AV software.

I am no expert.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • jgsi
    Thanks for the replies! :)
    Giving the MS Security Essentials a go
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I use AVG and have never had any problems. Its free too!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • AVG and Comodo work well for me. Go to Filehippo for recommendations/most downloaded
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I currently have the latest Norton and it is surprisingly non-obtrusive. The comparison/reviews I read before buying recently suggested it was the most effective of the paid for Internet Security as well.

I've used AVG Free as an antivirus alongside PC Tools Firewall Plus in the past, which seemed to do the job.

If you do a bit of googling, you can normally find an offer on Mcaffee/Kaspersky/Norton. I think the one I bought was 3 licenses for about £40 - you don't get a disk and have to download from the website, but that suits splitting the cost with other people and downloading on to your respective machines.
  • Norton 360 - shop around as you can normally get a 3 computer licence for around £40
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Advanced system care 6, download the free version then go to google and type it into there and get the key to upgrade to the pro version.

A very good tool and clears a lot of the crap on your computer.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    None. You don't need it, it seriously slows down your computer and they prevent many programs from even running.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • switch to a free operating system.....Linux
    No need for anti-virus, shock horror.
    It is no longer a geeks system, some say it is easier to find your way round than Windows (8)??????
    For things that are designed to run in Windows use the linux application "Wine" to run it.
    I use the Ubuntu version of Linux
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I had a lot of problems with Zone Alarm. The firewall was ok, but when I included the virus scanner as well it went FUBAR, the program would take more and more memory until it slowed the PC to a stop.
    I've also used Avast, or AVG in the past.

I now use Comodo (spelling?), and this seems ok. I've never paid for anything, these are all free downloads so I can't complain.

The older I get, the better I was.

• jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Being a fully paid up member of the geek community.

A couple of years ago, I had a big test of Virus software - focusing on

1) how easy to use
    2) how effective
    3) least slow down in downloading speed (yes anti virus does do this) - i.e. how much of a footprint it has as well.

The most effective I found was ESET Nod32 Antivirus - well worth a look at in my opinion.

For firewall I just use either microsofts own one, or an very old version of Zone alarm before it started doing things like antivirus etc.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    try falcon computers in sunderland, kaspersky pure, covers 3 computers for a year and free delivery for £20
  • Aye the falcon lads are really helpful,

I use Linux so as stated above no need for antivirus (Linux Mint Debain with Gnome to be precise) however on the laptop (the wife's) I've loaded PrivateFirewall v7.0 (currently) and ClamWin antivirus Both free, lightweight and do not slow down the machine.

For further security I run bleachbit and ccleaner (also free) and never had a problem for years.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    switch to a free operating system.....Linux
    It is no longer a geeks system, some say it is easier to find your way round than Windows (8)??????
    For things that are designed to run in Windows use the linux application "Wine" to run it.

Is that easy enough to install? I take it you choose which OS you wish to install at the boot menu?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    declan1 wrote:
    None. You don't need it, it seriously slows down your computer and they prevent many programs from even running.

Microsoft Security Essentials is the best I've found -> McAfee was awful basically cut the performance of my laptop in half :?
    switch to a free operating system.....Linux

Linux isn't immune to viruses.. and you're not doing anyone a favour when Windows Viruses can piggy back through you..
  • The Linux virii are so few and far between that they are hardly worth worrying about.
    Should a virus land on a linux system there is very little it can do..........

Being a bit belt and braces I am logged into here under one ID.........I'm not sure how secure this site is!
    But if I want to do anything that is crucial or requires me to to enter bank details or stuff of that nature I log on with a different ID....
    The only way something can cross IDs is by becoming a "Super User".

That is a very cut down explanation but in essence correct I believe.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Avast - light and fast.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • AVG - I've used the free version for about 3 years - its works fine. Worst thing I ever had was McAfee , that appeared to slow the computer down and do more harm than any virus ever could.
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • Just a heads up about MS Security Essentials, and, how it may not be the best free source...

Why I Uninstalled MSSE
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Definitely Avast. Never had one infected file on my computer. And I do my share of dodgy downloads.
  • My advice for you to go with the antivirus software that suits your enhancements and features of your pc and OS. There are number of antivirus softwares like Avast, Comodo, Kaspersky etc. You can go with any one of the free version and check which suit you the best!
    http://antivirus.comodo.com/
    http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index
    http://www.kaspersky.com/
    Above are some of the links , you can go through them.
    Hope it helps!
  • Kaspersky is free if you're registered for online banking with barclays.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I like MSE, but I can see a potential problem with it. MS has now built its technology into the version of Windows Defender included with Windows 8, and will presumably keep doing this in future versions of Windows. This will probably mean that Microsoft's own antivirus, as the default protection, will end up being much more widely used than any of the 3rd party alternatives, and the first thing a malware writer will do will be to make sure their 'product' evades it...

Of the others, I've been happy enough with Avira and F-Secure (though the free Avira now nags you with occasional upgrade popups). Rather than relying completely on antivirus software, it makes sense to block malware before it even gets on your computer. I find a couple of Firefox extensions useful:

NoScript blocks scripts on web pages unless you explictly allow them:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /noscript/

Web of Trust warns you about known bad sites in web searches:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sing-tool/

I also use Secunia PSI, which scans your system for outdated software that poses a security risk and can upgrade it (a bit like Windows Update for 3rd party software):
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I've recently uninstalled AVG because it kept on crashing both my desktop and my laptop, I would uninstall and reinstall AVG and it would work for a short time before crashing them again, and I could only uninstall it in safe mode. Now I use Avira for antivirus and Comodo for firewall.
  • I've recently uninstalled AVG because it kept on crashing both my desktop and my laptop, I would uninstall and reinstall AVG and it would work for a short time before crashing them again, and I could only uninstall it in safe mode. Now I use Avira for antivirus and Comodo for firewall.

I used AVG for years but like so many free antivirus offerings it suffered badly from feature creep. I guess if you're trying to differentiate yourself from the competition the temptation is to just keep shoving extra functionality in.

I actually use security essentials myself. The heuristic detection isn't great but it's relatively lightweight and doesn't nag you to upgrade to the pro version all the time.

+1 for Avira if you have an older PC. It's always had a fairly small footprint and doesn't gobble up too many resources. The free version does tend to nag you to upgrade rather a lot though.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything from Symantec or McAfee.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • jgsi
    Well, switched over to MS SE as Kaspersky ran out.
    No drama so far.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Buy a mac.

Or, if you must stay with a PC use Avast.
    Living MY dream.