How to train a dog to follow bike?

SteveH28
SteveH28 Posts: 44
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Hi,

Recently returned to biking and have a lurcher x whippet.
I will be digging out a phone number of a local dog trainer as my dog is very friendly and well behaved but i want him to be a bit better so that i can take im with me when cycling. For now i will be cycling along canals and local forestry commision based walking and cycling places, and the odd trip to cannock chase or llandegla.

As my fitness develops the rides will be longer and i will be looking at doing more natural trail based rides.

How many of you cycle with you dogs and how did you train your dog? My dog never goes far from me when walking but not sure whether any local dog trainers will be able to help. Though wont know until i ask!

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve

Comments

• mine just follow, never tried to train them. They can do a good 20 miles, when i get up to speed they are not interested in anything but running, when i slow down they take more interest in there suroundings. i only really take them on canal paths and forest walks. best thing to do would be go out early one morning when there is no one about and give it a try, you might be surprised and save a few quid on training!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Same as above, I didn't train a dog I had a while ago and he followed very obediently. If you can trust him on walks to be off the lead, you want to learn to trust him on the bike. Mine had a natural fear of the wheels and chainring so never came within a meter of me which was brilliant. He sniffed out trails that smelt of other bikes - trails I hadn't noticed before. But I did loose him once when he was behind me and took a wrong turning. Fortunately I'd fitted a cowbell to his collar so when I shouted, I could hear where he was. He didn't like the bell at first as it had a shrill ding to it, but it did it's job. It is a hella load of fun riding with a trail hound :)
  • I take my lurcher out on the lead just put the lead over your wrist and he runs along nicely
    carrera kraken
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I find it next to impossible to ride with a dog attached to one arm - you will inevitably get yanked off the bike when the bars are turned unexpectedly. But then, I only took Rascal on mountain trails and tracks.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I've got a jack russell, one of the quickest little dogs ive ever seen and hes fine, doesnt run under the bike or get in the way and keeps up. Untill he sees a rabbit/bird/rat/anything small and furry. From that point on all hope is lost and the bike ride gets interupted by half hour trying to catch him in a bush, which he sees as a game.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Buy a lead for it and get the wife to run along behind you holding the lead.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    generally you're better off attaching the lead to the seatpost as it's far less likely to unsettle you when the dog lurches around, otherwise these are good:

Doggy_Handlebar_Bag__29497_zoom.JPG
  • My advice would be to not bother with the leads - it is likely you'll be pitched off, crash cos your paying attention to holding the lead and not looking at trail ahead, could cause harm to the dog. I've attempted to use a bungy rope lead as someone recommended for runners but it was rubbish. The other advice is to build up the distance and speed slowly. Like you, if you do a 20mile trail loop at warp speed without previously doing that much exercise, you're gonna hurt the next day - same goes for the dog.
    Also, no dog has 100% recall 100% of the time so start doing it early or late when the trails are less crowded and don't go near traffic! I tend to walk with my dog to the bridleway or if hitting the trails, we drive up to one of the quieter car parks by the trails but he'll stay on the lead until we're away from any cars.

He loves it but you have to be mindful of other riders, walkers, horsey types and especially cars!
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I'm with everyone else on this one - if the dog is ok off the lead when you're out for a walk then it should be fine when you're out on the bike. I've had a couple trail hounds over the years and they seem to adhere to the 'trail hound etiquette' - run like an idiot on the downhills and do their own thing while I struggle on the ups.
    However, I've found that a regular beasting out with the bike has a negative effect. If you go out and do 20+ miles on a regular basis thats what they come to expect every day and simlpy taking them for half and hour in the local park isn't good enough for them. You can almost see the look on their faces as if to say 'is that it?'

Gratuitous 'trail hound' pic...
    p2pb9124869.jpg

Let the 'dog-off' begin!
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    mattbarnes wrote:
    I'm with everyone else on this one - if the dog is ok off the lead when you're out for a walk then it should be fine when you're out on the bike. I've had a couple trail hounds over the years and they seem to adhere to the 'trail hound etiquette' - run like an idiot on the downhills and do their own thing while I struggle on the ups.
    However, I've found that a regular beasting out with the bike has a negative effect. If you go out and do 20+ miles on a regular basis thats what they come to expect every day and simlpy taking them for half and hour in the local park isn't good enough for them. You can almost see the look on their faces as if to say 'is that it?'

Gratuitous 'trail hound' pic...
    p2pb9124869.jpg

Let the 'dog-off' begin!

This "mine looks at me as if to say why bother big ears
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^this, mine stop and bark at me if they think i'm to slow. and remember to carry extra water.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • tie a string of sausages to your bke like they do in the cartoons
  • gsphil
    gsphil Posts: 11
    I'm no expert, but what about using a rabbit skin to entice the dog to follow like they do with gun dogs. Not sure if the dog will jump on you though! Other than that, maybe just take it steady at first and just reinforce the behaviour you want with treats, etc.
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    You shouldn't really have to train the dog to follow you. Sticking with master should be a natural instinct to dogs, although smaller terrier types can listen to the "hunt small + furry" instinct instead....

Mine's just got no manners. He likes to be out in front of the bike, then catches a whiff of something good on the other side of the trail, and darts across my front wheel. Keeps my braking sharp I guess. I don't do a lot with him on the bike though, as any worthwhile ride invariably has to cross by roads etc.
  • Thanks for all the replies and advice, don't think will tie a cat or rabbit skin to the bike tho lol!
    Will keep an eye out for a quiet time with less people about at a trail near me and give it a go! Might get the other half to come with me and follow with a lead just in case!
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    apreading wrote:

LOL, that does is awesome, cuts the corners too. :lol:
  • I used to cycle around with my dogs (Staffordshire Bull Terriers) by holding their lead in one hand, it only took one 'off' for me to realise it was rather unsafe.

After much researching I found the walkydog (http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/walkydog.html) which attaches to you seat post, and since then the only issues I've had is cold weather and rain.

The walkydog, holds them about a foot away from the bike, the suspension springs help to reduce the natural pulls as your dog lurches, and the cord being paracord is cheap to replace or lengthen.

To help keep my dogs going the same direction as me, I keep using husky sledging commands for left, right, ignore, stop, etc and these are working really well.

What I've noticed, is that they are only interested in their surroundings when we're going slow and they're not panting for breath, otherwise they're completely focussed on running (unlike us they can only focus on one thing at a time).

What the other fella said about increasing speed and distance slowly over time is spot on, otherwise you could both end up quite sore.

I started training my dogs by simply cycling on pavements with them, so they had a chance to get used to moving with the bike, and recognising they need to do something when the front wheel moves, I then followed up by adding the sledging command and then increasing speed.

I used to get lots of negative comments from people who thought it was cruel, and simply suggested they look at my dog and judge for them selves if they were enjoying it.
  • apreading wrote:

Great video! Love the bit where the bloke looks back up the path and the dog comes out the forest lol!
  • elredso
    elredso Posts: 94
    I go out with my dog most weekends, cannock is our normal play ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJH_6KyGQ8

Once your dog is good off of the lead, then you are good to go - I taught him the following commands, and they seem to do the job:

Go on - Run in front
    Heal - Follow alongside bike
    Back - Follow Behind (although he always does this too close of me most of the time, so I tend to run him out front)
  • elredso
    BTW - I also checked with the vet, and she said it was fine to run him up to 20 miles - but to build up to it.

If you are running your dog in wales (slate) or somewhere with a lot of stone / rock, you will need boots / mushers wax for his paws, or they will get damaged.

and just make sure you always clear the crap away ! no one likes dog mess on their tyres, and its a guaranteed way to piss people off
  • elredso wrote:
    I go out with my dog most weekends, cannock is our normal play ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJH_6KyGQ8

quote]

Is the camera mounted to the side of your helmet? between 1:50 and 2:00 looks like you had some close calls with trees! Following your dog on the follow the dog trail lol!

In a few months if you see a ginger and white lurcher with mahOOOOsive ears sprint past you know I will be nearby on my orange Orange!
  • elredso wrote:
    BTW - I also checked with the vet, and she said it was fine to run him up to 20 miles - but to build up to it.

If you are running your dog in wales (slate) or somewhere with a lot of stone / rock, you will need boots / mushers wax for his paws, or they will get damaged.

and just make sure you always clear the crap away ! no one likes dog mess on their tyres, and its a guaranteed way to wee-wee people off

My dog will run for between 20 to 30 minutes before "jogging" for however long needed then maybe have another 15 min running session. He will be happy to trot or go home after that. So not sure if will reach 20 miles but will keep it in mind.

Thanks.
  • elredso
    SteveH28 wrote:
    elredso wrote:

and just make sure you always clear the crap away ! no one likes dog mess on their tyres, and its a guaranteed way to wee-wee people off

My dog will run for between 20 to 30 minutes before "jogging" for however long needed then maybe have another 15 min running session. He will be happy to trot or go home after that. So not sure if will reach 20 miles but will keep it in mind.

Thanks.

Main thing is that you build them up if you do want to do longer distances - tommy normally does 2 x 5 milers / night rides during the week and then a 15/20 miler on the weekends.

he isnt running flat out for any of it really - most of the time he is just walking (when i am going uphill) or trotting - only time he gets to full pelt / might hold me up, is on the last couple of sections of the monkey