Spindoctor vs Combat - what's the difference?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
does anyone know if there's any difference between the freehubs for Halo Spindoctor and Combat hubs?
I'm 99% sure my rebadged freehub is a Spindoctor, as it matches all the descriptions and freehub body removal instructions perfectly, but there's a Halo combat freehub that looks identical to my untrained eye, and I'm concerned I'll end up with the wrong one unless I can establish what, if anything, is the key difference between the two.
Anybody in a position to compare and contrast?

cheers,
Jim

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the bearing races are different.

links to the two you are looking at as things have changed over the years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/halo-halo-co ... prod25684/

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/halo-halo-sp ... prod24210/

Both appear to attach in the same way, with internal and external threads as shown in the first link (sorry second link not so clear, as it has the internal locknut and spacer in place) and here's mine:

IMG_3756_zps0e7a72db.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bearings are different so not cross compatible. the spin doc uses cartridge and the combat cone and cup.

they are the same bodies but the spindoc is machined to take a cartridge bearing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    nicklouse wrote:
    bearings are different so not cross compatible. the spin doc uses cartridge and the combat cone and cup.

they are the same bodies but the spindoc is machined to take a cartridge bearing.

Oh - Spindoctor it is, then.
    Awesome - thanks for the super-speedy help!