Tricross size help

dbairduk
dbairduk Posts: 50
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,
I am going for the tricross sport 2011.
I am about 5'9 1/2-5'10. I have about a 31" leg.
I have asked the shop what size to go for and was recommended the 54cm((this is by email). After reading a few other threads and searching allot of people seem to go for the 56cm.

Its a bit far to drive down their and no local shops seem to have the bike. I may ask if I can drive down and exchange it if its wrong though.

I was measured and recommended a 54cm in the ribble store for their blue standard frame.

A few threads suggest they needed a bigger size tricross to to the geometry ?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• ok well I have done the ape index thing I found, and pasted below

My index came to -2.5. Do you take this into account?

For most people to get the right frame size, measuring your height will suffice. However, you may find that your height is on the borderline of the range we suggest for a particular frame. If this occurs you need to measure the range of your reach or “Ape Index”. This will ensure you get a comfortable distance between the handlebars and your saddle.

Stand up straight with your back against a wall.
    Life your arms out horizontally either side of you.
    Measure the distance from fingertip of one hand to fingertip of the other. This will give you your arm span.
    Subtract your height from this figure to get your Ape Index.
    If the result is positive (your arm span is greater than your height) you should go for the larger size of bike.
    If the result is negative (your arm span is less than your height you need the smaller size.
    Stand Over Height
  • Hi,

I am the same height (but with 29" inside leg and longer torso) as you and ride a 54cm Spesh Secteur. I test rode a 54cm Tricross last year. Both bikes felt fine and I have had no sizing issues with the Secteur and have clocked up > 3000 miles on it in it's first year.

I suspect you would be fine but you really do need a test ride or to at least sit on one. Are you not near an Evans? They are a specialized dealer.
  • I could make it to an evans, its about 45 mins away. There are a couple of smaller bike shops who do specialized, but I would not expect them to carry all models and sizes.

They only do the 2013, will the geometory be the same on the frames?
  • well no Tricross in any of the local Evans... Leaves me a little stuck.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have a 56 Allez and bought a 56 Tricross - it feels right and is slightly more upright than the Allez - I'm 2" taller than you.

My brother (shorter than me) rides a 54 tricross and he says its too short (top tube length) for him - but he's used to road bikes and getting fairly aero - so it depends on what you're used to and what you want it for.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    6', 32" inside leg, went for the 56 and it's fine.

I would recommend the 54" for you. You may want to check the crank length as this changes between each size on the Tricross and I think the 54 is a 170mm and the 56 a 172.5mm. You would probably find the smaller crank size more comfortable at your height IMHO.

It's a good choice of bike BTW, but change the tyres as soon as you can.

Oh, and I'd recommend the large for your cape.... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter