Rear wheel query

pkngster
pkngster Posts: 17
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I brought a Triban 3 by btwin as my first bike, due to cost and not knowing how long the bug would bite for. Well 600 miles later and I am still loving it, however my rear wheel has died, the cassette on the back wheel is having a real issue with the bearings and spindle and will not sit flush has a constant wobble. My mate and I have stripped it down, taken all the bearings out, cleaned, re greased and put it all back together again, 2.5 miles later the problem is back. I therefore think that a new wheel is the way forward and to be fair the first thing that I will have replaced.

Okay as I am a complete newbie what should I get?? I have seen the shimano r501's which look pretty good, but have no idea if they are a good buy or not? the other problem I have is if I buy a new wheel or wheel set, what inner tubes do I buy and what tyres do I get, I cant afford the top of the range, but I do not want to by cheap and cheerful only to have replace in another 500 odd miles, so what are good value for money and your recommendations.

Cheers,

PK

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    PM Ugo.Santalucia for advise on wheels. Top bloke and very good wheel builder.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mwf28
    mwf28 Posts: 37
    I would just buy a new set of cheap wheels ,Is the cassette ok on the triban 3 ,its a 12 -25t shimano so as long as your new wheels are shimano hub ,should be a easy swap///

I would guess a cheapish r500 rear would do alright...Best to get a pair IMHO ....

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... tAodkjoA4Q

Keep an eye out on the parts for sale section loads of bargain wheels pop up!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    smidsy wrote:
    PM Ugo.Santalucia for advise on wheels. Top bloke and very good wheel builder.
    +1. Pablo has built wheels for 2 people I know, both are delighted with them. Hand built wheels have the advantage of being able to mix and match the best hub/spoke/rim combination for you weight/style of riding/budget.

Inner tubes are not so important, any reasonable quality tubes. Tyres depend on your riding. For winter people on here swear by Continental 4 Seasons, whilst for speed Cycling+ test winner was Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD.

See this thread winter road tyres
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    how long have you had the bike. Take it back to them they will replace whatever is needed.
  • Thanks for the replies all.

Thanks Smidsy. MWF28, funnily enough i was looking at a set of R501 wheelset, sorry not sure what IMHO is!.

Gizmodo, just was worried about the size of the tubes i would need for the wheels, same for the tyres, I don't want to get the wrong ones and for them to be too big or small and as I would be buying online, would not have an assistant to ask.
    Buckie2k5, did not think about that, it was a decathalon store, will give that a try and see what happens, worth a try, thanks.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    pkngster wrote:
    Gizmodo, just was worried about the size of the tubes i would need for the wheels, same for the tyres, I don't want to get the wrong ones and for them to be too big or small and as I would be buying online, would not have an assistant to ask.
    Inner tube sizing - 4 things to consider.

1. Wheel circumference - You will have 700c wheels so look for 700

2. Tyre width - chances are you have either 23 or 25mm tyres (look at what is printed on the side of the tyre). The tubes will say something like "20-25mm". If you have 28mm tyres (unlikely) then you will need "25-35mm" tubes for example.

3. The depth of your wheel rim - increasingly wheel rims have deeper profiles for aerodynamics. This will mean you will need longer valves. They come in a range of lengths from 42mm to 100mm. Measure the length of the valve you have at the moment and get one the same or longer. You can also get "valve extenders" if you really need to.

4. Valve type - yours will be Presta valves. Mountain Bikes and Hybrids might use Schrader valves (like a car).
  • Second the take it back option. Decathlon have a really good returns policy - there own stuff generally has a 2 year cover. Stress the low mileage and I reckon they would swap it for you although they might class it as wear and tear.