26er to 29er.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I'm thinking if getting myself a 29er, only something relatively cheap to start with maybe throught c2w. I'm currently running a 26er and always have but was wondering who has made the leap and if you like or regret it?

They're not something I've really liked the look of until the last year when they've grown on me. I'm big, 6'5" so it should suit quite well. I also only really ride xc so again, they should suit. My only concern is that I hired one at a trail centre and didn't like it. It felt too sluggish and not nimble on the tighter stuff. It could have just been me not being used to it though.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sounds about right.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It took me 2 rides to get used to the one I test rode - but that is the drawback of a 29er. Depends if you ride on trails like helter skeltors or trails that go for kms in one direction....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    They are, and do feel different to a 26 er. It will take you more than one ride to get used to it. Once you have been riding it for a bit you will adapt to the way it rides and feels.

The way I did it was I bought a cheap On One Scandal set up from On-One and went for it. Back then there weren't the 29ers around to demo.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Just remember to be prepared for people laughing, and spitting on you as you pass for being a hippy :lol:
  • scale20
    Providing those little wheels can catch you :D
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • At the cheaper end of the market you're not gonna get much for your money. Few of my friends ride them and enjoy them when we are on one of our longer rides, but when it comes to anything technical or trails with tree sections and switchbacks, they enjoy it less - when they will admit it. My mate has both a 26 and 29 Anthem and the 29 has seen little use since he bough it. He says its a good bike but prefers the 26 for tight twisty stuff. He also has a trek 29 single speed which has seen a fair bit of use due to the weather, but its basic with cable disc brakes and coil fork, it's quite good value for money though and upgradeable.

Unless itll be more of a commuter, you've got to take one on your trails to get a good comparison.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • scale20
    They can be quick on the twisty fast singletrack, you just have to lean a 29er more into the bends, and throw it around corners a bit more. They dont like being stuck in ruts!

Although I dont ride 26in anymore they are a lot better suited to the more big mountain techy stuff.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.