rear hub issue

Uli
Uli Posts: 190
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I decided to service my rear hubs on hoodoo. I removed cassette and bearings balls, regreased and put everything together. Now the wheel spins forward fine but cassette is almost impossible to turn in opposite way. I mean the pedals will not turn backward due to resistance of the hub. I made cones loose but that has no effect. What did I mess up?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Uli wrote:
    Hi,
    I decided to service my rear hubs on hoodoo. I removed cassette and bearings balls, regreased and put everything together. Now the wheel spins forward fine but cassette is almost impossible to turn in opposite way. I mean the pedals will not turn backward due to resistance of the hub. I made cones loose but that has no effect. What did I mess up?
    something.

number of balls.
    missing spacers.

take the cassette off and see if the body rotates without the cassette on.

if yes then you are doing something weong with the cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Uli
    There were 18 balls (9 each side). There is no difference really with cassette on or off. It engages fine but doesn't spin free in opposite direction.
    TBH I am more and more tempted to ditch this piece of junk wheel and get some good stuff. It was ok for some time but now is just one long stream of problems.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Strip it down and start again. Make sure no dust seals are pinched.

Did you adjust the hub correctly? Did you remove the freehub body?
  • Uli
    You are probably right. I must start over again. I didn't remove freehub itself. Just axle and bearings.

Update. You are right about the seals. It appears the hub side rubber didn't go deep enough and it is rubbing hub preventing free spin. I will strip it again tomorrow.