Flat or SPD for DH / Enduro racing.

MagnePange
MagnePange Posts: 38
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello!

I think about a pair of new pedals: mainly beacuse my old ones looks like shit on my nw bike.....

I have run the DMR V12. In my opinion excellent pedals.

I now think about a pair of nw V12 or Shimano Saint.

Then again I think about even more power and controll: Crank Brothes mallet2 whit nw FiveTen SPD DH/FR shoes. That would be cool. Or?

Any experience from switching from flat to SPD?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not an easy change to make and not everyone gets on with it.
    I quite like spd's for downhill, they stop your feet bouncing around on the pedals and are more efficient when sprinting hard. I use Shimano DX pedals with Shimano AM45 shoes (and AM41's for flats), crank bros pedals are a bit pointless, the platform does nothing except add weight.
    I have got saint pedals on my XC bike and to be honest they perform no better than Superstar nano's.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    1. SPDs are better for any kind of mtb racing, fact.
    2. Crank bros are unreliable, but a lot of people like the feel of mallets, I'd get shimano DXs, but it's up to you what you prefer.
    3.DMR v12s are crap, a decent flat pedal will feel miles better anyway, but for racing, SPDs are the way.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    With code ECTEND you can get the Saint pedals for £35 off Evans at the moment. I've just given them a go because I can't for the life of me dismantle my Superstar Nanos to service them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nano's are really simple to service. Very similar to every other flat I have had.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've never needed to service mine in the 3 years I've had them anyway, apart from changing the pins a couple of times.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Since changing to spd's I've never looked back, they're awesome and make for a far better riding experience IMO.

The main argument I seem to see against them is crashing and still being clipped in but they're not that secure and unclipping is second nature once you're used to them.

I would also argue that what riding you're doing shouldn't affect whether you ride spd's or not, if you like them you like them (with the exception of trials, dj, freeride)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    Nano's are really simple to service. Very similar to every other flat I have had.

The only tool I've got that can get at the nut inside the two caps, I can't get the leverage to undo it. Might have another go by applying a wrench to that tool as well or something. If I get that far, I haven't the foggiest idea how I'll get the bushing out as well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    dusk wrote:
    I would also argue that what riding you're doing shouldn't affect whether you ride spd's or not, if you like them you like them (with the exception of trials, dj, freeride)

It took me a while to get used to spd's on my DH bike even after using them on my XC bike for years and I never take feet off for cornering. I think it was just a confidence thing.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I thought I would use flats when I first had a DH bike and it just didn't feel right, switched to spd's and all was good again. I think a big thing is that your riding style changes with spd's, not purposely but it does happen
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • I think I will go for SPD: thank´s for the input on the CB Mallet.

Thank´s

/ MP
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I like flats, as I cant find and spd shoe with the cleat far back enough to drop my heel as I like to for dh (warner stylee) without stretching my instep uncomfortibly.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i think it depends on your style of riding and confidence level. i have used both flats and spds, and for having fun on a bike and pushing my limets i would choose flats.
    i have tried the old style mallets and they are not the best of both worlds you might think they are, in fact i would say they are the worst of both. you cant clip in and out as easy and you cant ride on them as pure flats.
    i have also tried normal eggbeaters and shimano xtr trail. and the best of the clipples ones ive tried is the shimano.
    on the flats front i've tried dmr v8, kona wah wah, superstar ultra mag and burgtec penthouse flats. the kona and the superstar are better than the old dmr v8s, but the burgtec pedals are in a league of there own way above the others. the amount of grip they give is phenomenal.
    what are brakes for again
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    captainfly wrote:
    I like flats, as I cant find and spd shoe with the cleat far back enough to drop my heel as I like to for dh (warner stylee) without stretching my instep uncomfortibly.
    You will always drop your heels on flats to counter your weight against contact angle.
    With clips you'll drop the heels a bit less and weight will be a bit further forward.
    Clips are faster on the pedals and give a bit of stability but slower in the corners.

In case you're wondering I ride platforms. I ride flatout whenever pointing down the hill so like the idea of dabbing if I get a bit overexcited.
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • Another vote for Shimano SPD's from me. Simple, reliable, robust. I went from flats last year. I'm a recreational biker and ride a hardtail bike (about to change to a full sus).

The change from flats to SPD's seemed a bit tricky at first until I adjusted the setting on the pedal to release more easily. I now find them the best pedals to use by miles! Uphill the difference in my climbing ability is huge. Downhill I feel more confident and in control at speed on bumps and drops. Jumps are better and bigger as I'm more stable in the air and especially landing.

Expect to fall at some point at first but you'll soon find clipping in/out something you do without really thinking.
  • Ha!

I could not deacide for anything so I bought one pair of Saint´s and one pair of SPD DX pedals and combine them with the Simano AM45 shoe.

What a sissy I am......
  • iDad
    iDad Posts: 68
    I bought a set of Shimano XT Trail SPD's last year, i love them my shins have seriously thanked me for getting them :D
    It didn't take too long to get used to them...although i have forget a couple of times that i was clipped in and did the usual slow motion sideways fall much to the amusement of my mates and people around :oops: