Buying a Zesty 914

Moreland
Moreland Posts: 34
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am going to keep an eye out for a 2010 Zesty 914, Wanted one since they came out and feel that its time to get one now! Does anyone on here own one? Whats it like to ride, Any down sides to it?

Also what do you think I should be looking at price wise for a good one?

Thanks

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Ive got the Zesty 514 2011 and couldn't be happier with it, climbs really well reasonablly light for a FS, your going to get the comments that they snap and yes they do the same way lots of other frames snap but ive hammered mine and i'm no technical rider and it's survived everything. I weight 80kgs and i believe there is a weight limit on them to 100kgs but i may be wrong.

You may find that you'll be replacing BB,s twice a year which again lots of people winge about but it's not a lot to spend when you consider the cost of the bike. I would definately buy another one but unfotunately i hate the colour of the new 514.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Thanks for that, worth checking everything over when buying one then.

What do you think price wise for a good example of one would set me back? 714s seem to be selling for about £1700. Do you think about £2000?
  • Stu Coops
    £2k is a good budget as new i think there around £3.5k but that's a lot to spend on what i assume is going to be secondhand,if it was me i would just be wary because secondhand you got no recourse also you don't know how hard it's been ridden. You could be replacing forks, shock, bearings it's just a minefield as even a bad bike can scrub up really well and a 2010 model has had two years of abuse

You can get which i'm sure you know a hell of a lot of brand new bike for that kind of money as i would personally be looking new with your budget and secondhand with a grand to spend as a good specced FS for a grand you take your chances and expect to spend a bit on it. If it's a Zesty your hell bent on try coming down a model or two and see if you can grab a bargain from last year.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Equally, if you can get over the (in some ways justifiable) paranoia then you find you can afford bikes that you normally wouldn't even be able to consider.

The way I see it, lots of people are way overbiked. They never push their bike or gear anywhere near to its limit. This may or may not be especially true of Lapierre owners.

This means there are bargains to be had! Just use your common sense and make sure you give the bike a good once over before you commit to buying.
  • Stu Coops
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Equally, if you can get over the (in some ways justifiable) paranoia then you find you can afford bikes that you normally wouldn't even be able to consider.

The way I see it, lots of people are way overbiked. They never push their bike or gear anywhere near to its limit. This may or may not be especially true of Lapierre owners.

This means there are bargains to be had! Just use your common sense and make sure you give the bike a good once over before you commit to buying.

Yeh totally agree with you on all counts jus not where i'd go
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    £2k would be about the right price for a decent one, a lot of people selling them though will probably split them up to get more money. I'd be a bit wary myself, I'm a Zesty fan (have an 09 314) but although I'd like to swap to a carbon frame I just can't justify the risk given how many break and that you'd get no warranty on it secondhand. Spending £500 it's maybe worth a punt but spending £2k is a heck of a lot with no frame warranty to fall back on. A 2010 bike should have also need it's pivot bearings replaced and had a full shock and fork service, again I'd walk away if there's no evidence of this. If you find one for £2k and it's sorted and doesn't break then it's hard to think of a better bike out there for the money...