What bike for a comeback?

mattfinch
mattfinch Posts: 36
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
So after about 3 years out of the saddle (various reasons) I am looking to get back into riding again.

I used to have a hardtail GT which was cheap but cheerful, and was always bought with the intention of it being a lead into a more expensive / better spec bike in the future (just didnt realise there would be a 3 year gap!)

I enjoy XC riding to an extent, but I'm not really a long hauler, I look forward to the downhill sections and dread the climbs (don't we all!). So I was thinking of some kind of full sus / freeride cross over bike to suit this style of riding.

I don't think a full downhill rig is for me, but it might be something I build up to. I simply can't see me hitting much over 4ft (drop wise) for a long time, if ever.

At a reasonably lardy 17st (6ft) i'd need something strong but not too heavy. Something that I can whip around the downhill sections, hit a few jumps, but not really a big hitter or dropper.

Budget is around £1k but flexible, and I'd be more than happy with second hand as I think it is generally very good value to do so. Budget is less of a concern than finding the right bike to get me back in the saddle.

Help, advice and guidance is appreciated!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmmm so you want an all mountain rig for sub £1K....

Carrera Banshee X is the only one that seems to fit, very tough, better than many expect but it is heavy and no XC ride, or uphill thrasher, but as a junior AM/DH bike it is remarkably capable.

If you're prepared to back off the spec to a trail rig though you'll open your options a lot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You won't get a new bike for what you want at that price. Have a look for a pre 2010 used Giant Reign X.
  • Thanks guys, as I said in the OP, second hand is more than fine, infact i prefer it.

Trail is fine if it suits my need. As I said, I dont think a full, hard hitting DH bike is what I need either. Its the middle ground of toughness with lightness and decent travel that will get me around the whippy downhill sections, a few small jumps, but not a slog on the uphills.
  • The Rookie
    Used would be better, but first you want to narrow down what you really want a bit, from what you say around 150-160mm travel would be needed.

there are a lot of options at that travel, but I'd steer clear of the more 'continental style' bikes as they tend to blow through travel on UK style riding, although some are good (Lapierre's for example)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks.

Sorry, what do you mean by continental?
  • The Rookie
    Some of the continental bikes are set up for the more central European XC style riding and as such tend to either lack small bump sensitivity, or soften them off and they blow through all the travel rather too easily, common complaint levelled at Cubes for example.
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Does that apply to Canyons as well?
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some of the continental bikes are set up for the more central European XC style riding and as such tend to either lack small bump sensitivity, or soften them off and they blow through all the travel rather too easily, common complaint levelled at Cubes for example.

But you will get this problem with any bike which has poor quality forks or shock. My old 2011 Giant Reign X2 was terrible until I had the shock Push tuned and fitted a Mission Control DH damper in the forks.
  • The Rookie
    Maybe, but linkage rising rate (or falling rate on 'badly designed' ones) and can size also have an effect even if you have top components.....
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    what about ER1 at £900
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    On One 456 with Rock Shox Sector or Revelation forks would fit the bill.

The frame is pretty cheap even first hand and both the forks are quite common and good performers so might be able to find some on ebay or here in the Classifieds.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    If you're after a full suss then you should be able to pick up a decent aluminium framed Specialized Enduro for under £1000 on the used market. Fairly light, climb well and very capable on the downhills.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    My mate has just sold his mint spesh stumpy on ebay for 900,fox front forks which can be adjusted to 100-120-140 travel.
    Im actually gutted i didnt have the cash or i would have taken it in a heartbeat,some real bargains to be had....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie