Quick Question.....

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I need some new SPD cleats, just standard cleats, not SPD SL or anything. It's been a while since I bought any but there seems to be an array of choices, SH51, SH52, SH56 etc etc.... Does anyone know the difference?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Cleats come with the pedals.
    Find out which ones come with your pedals?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think the difference is that some are multi release.

Not sure what else - they will all fit any SPD pedal, but not sure if there is any degree of float between the variants.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Float before release.
  • Headhuunter
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Float before release.

Which has more float?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I think I have a couple of spare sets, bought rather more pedals than shoes. PM me your address and I'll sling a pair in the post.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Shimano SPD MTB Cleats: Available options are SH51, SH52 and SH56 to fit the vast majority of SPD pedals.

SH51 SPD single release cleats, recommended for all MTB SPD pedals except PD M858: release the cleat by twisting heel outwards. In layman's terms, this is the cleat that will fit 99% of SPD compatible pedals excluding the M858.
    SH52 SPD single release cleats, recommended for PDM858 pedal: release the cleat by twisting heel outwards. In layman's terms, this is the cleat that will fit all of the same pedals pedals as above (SH51) and ALSO the PDM858. Unless you have the M858, Wiggle recommend opting for the more popular SH51 option.
    SH 56: Designed to work with all open design pedals: allow your shoe to be disengaged by rolling or twisting the foot in any direction
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think I have a couple of spare sets, bought rather more pedals than shoes. PM me your address and I'll sling a pair in the post.

That would be marvelous. I'll drop you a PM...
  • Headhuunter
    rjsterry wrote:
    Shimano SPD MTB Cleats: Available options are SH51, SH52 and SH56 to fit the vast majority of SPD pedals.

SH51 SPD single release cleats, recommended for all MTB SPD pedals except PD M858: release the cleat by twisting heel outwards. In layman's terms, this is the cleat that will fit 99% of SPD compatible pedals excluding the M858.
    SH52 SPD single release cleats, recommended for PDM858 pedal: release the cleat by twisting heel outwards. In layman's terms, this is the cleat that will fit all of the same pedals pedals as above (SH51) and ALSO the PDM858. Unless you have the M858, Wiggle recommend opting for the more popular SH51 option.
    SH 56: Designed to work with all open design pedals: allow your shoe to be disengaged by rolling or twisting the foot in any direction

Thanks v much, that's helpful...