Best bike under $500 for 200lb woman? Suggestions?

aboutimeImove
aboutimeImove Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
What is the best bike for a 200 lb woman? I'm 5'4, trying to lose weight, strengthen my knee, and ensure my son learns about exercising and fun. I will commute and may go on dirt/gravel once and awhile. I'm looking for reliability, function, and efficiency (comfort is a bonus)?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CX (cyclocross) bike sounds like a good compromise for your requirements, but you may struggle to find anything at your budget. I should think your LBS (local bike shop) would have something to look at in a light-ish hybrid though.

You'll want something that's reasonably enjoyable to ride otherwise it becomes a chore.

Not sure what $500 gets you in the States; this is a predominantly UK site.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I assume you mean £500 not $500?

Any how that sounds like a hybrid, my wife likes the specialized ariel's but realistically try before you buy.
  • Thank you for your comments. Yes, I did not realize I had posted to the UK site.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thank you for your comments. Yes, I did not realize I had posted to the UK site.
    not just a UK site but an English language site. posters range from the Americas to the Australians with a good dose of Europe in the middle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Specialized Vita is one of the nicest women's bikes in your price range. It is available internationally so wherever you are.
    If you want a more international bike forum, Bikeforums.net is a good one.