Experimenting with rain repellent

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
After Fridays complete mudbath, I've decided to try out the rain repellent on my winter cycling goggles / glasses to see if they can steam up less and keep the rain / snow / sh*t off.

Just applying the stuff now, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What type are you trying?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What type are you trying?
    I find spending ages getting a pair of Crud Roadracers just right on the Best Bike will repel rain for weeks.
  • meanredspider
    I find spending ages getting a pair of Crud Roadracers just right on the Best Bike will repel rain for weeks.

My Assos ClimaSchutz had the same effect :roll: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What type are you trying?

I have got a large jar or MTFU. Seems to do the job :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns

Halfords own for now - it got good reviews So I figured it was worth a go.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Now, I've tried Halford's own on the car, and I was mightily impressed... no wipers above around 40mph. For cycling glasses it is something I've always thought about, but never tried. Is there any chance of a reaction with the lenses or coatings (assuming they are not glass)?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    leeefm wrote:
    ...Is there any chance of a reaction with the lenses or coatings (assuming they are not glass)?

Or with your eyes? :wink:
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • meanredspider
    I use a diving antifog treatment from the interweb that seems to work well. The Oakley stuff was poor. Rain-X isn't meant to be used on plastic but works well on glass.
  • meanredspider

I have got a large jar or MTFU. Seems to do the job :wink:

Have you been riding naked again? I thought the police warned you about that? :wink:
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    This isn't what i wanted to be hearing, I've just dug out my ESS tactical goggles thinking i'm onto a winner..
    Please dont tell me i need more products to be able to see, it came with a no fog cloth i thought that was all requirements ticked.. :|
  • meanredspider
    bushu wrote:
    I've just dug out my ESS tactical goggles thinking i'm onto a winner..

•High-impact polycarbonate lenses can stop a shotgun blast from 35 feet
    •Mil-Spec: exceeds U.S. Military's .22 caliber ballistic impact text MIL-V-4351IC

Rough round your way?
  • bushu
    Has been known for it, i suppose thats why i like to cycle it gets me out of here :|
    Anyway back to topic, going to go give them try in snow think a few laps on the mongoose should fog test them 8)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - it worked.

I coated the glasses and the camera lens and they are both totally clear. It was snowing the whole way and I was pretty much covered when I got home, but the camera recorded perfectly clearly and the snow didn't touch the lens.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for inside and I still fogged up when I stopped. Calotherm spray needed there methinks.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Halfords also do anti-fog wipes. I use them and they work ok.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bushu
    ah well i just solved my fogging, but the melting snow on outer side of lense caused slight distortion 8)
    looks like your onto something with rain repellent :| :idea: