What bike to get?

amj84
amj84 Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi,

Im not new to biking but i have alwAys used a mountain bike. I started riding into work about a year ago and am now looking to trade my mountain bike for some thing a little bit faster and more road worthy.

My dilemma is there simply is too much choice around and i would like some advice on what to buy. I have three bikes in my mind (unless anyone else can suggest something else) and my other question is should I go for hybrid, road or cyclocross?

The three bikes I have in mind are

Giant Escape RX2
Specialized Sirrus Comp
Specialized Tricross

I want some thing versatile that I can do long bike rides on and possibly use for a triathlon but also get to work quickly and enjoy the occasional ride with the family the more i read the more confused I get so any help is much appriciated.

Thanks Andy

Comments

• The Kona Rove is a new out of the box solution to people who look for a multi-talented commuter. http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=rove. Should be lots of fun! (expecially for an (ex)mtb-er)
    Bikes like these are purpose build for fenders, packs and racks etc.

I'm not quite sure if the combination commuter/triathlon is a very sensible one. Triathlon bikes and positions are quite specific. If you're considering clip-on bars on a (comfort oriented) road bike to get a low stretched out position
    thats another option. Specialized Cirrus (more all-round) or Secteur (more sporty) are the ones I'd go for.

Specialized in my opinion is an expert brand in both reasonably prized entry lever 'sporty' bikes and ultra high end road mtb etc. if not slightly over prized.

Maybe give us some more info on the length of your ride and what kind of terrain you cross.
  • amj84
    amj84 Posts: 3
    Its about 6 miles each way on mainly cycle path/road however I do rides on weekends which are a little more off road but nothing worse than gravel/stoney surfaces.

The triathlon thing is only really something I would like to do and it will probably be sprint trialthons so not massive distances so I want something which is OK for this too.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Go for a cross bike and stick some narrow road tyres on it when you're racing.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Something with proper mudguard mounts as well. I would use a tourering or cross bike but one with mudguard mounts as mentioned and rear rack mounts. Clearance for 28mm tyres under the mudguards would be good as well.

I think a touring bike would do everything you want.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    yeah touring bikes are excellent all rounders. Different types of them too, from flat bar to drop, 26" or 700c, road or mtb chainset/gearing.

So if you're going off road lots of rough terrain, go for 26" wheels, flat bar, mtb gearing. Road use, 700 wheels, drop bars, road gearing.

I agree there is so much choice. You've got hub gearing to consider as well. Then type of brakes.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I rode a hybrid for a few months before I realised that a proper road bike would be best. Now I've ridden a road bike for a bit I think I'd like a cyclocross. A carbon road bike is very nice when the weather is good, but as a commuter I think a cyclocross bike would be the best all rounder/compromise.