What frame size?

Grinner1982
Grinner1982 Posts: 19
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I am 5'11 and wondered what frame size I'll be after, I've read 56cm but would like a second opinion.

Comments

• lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I am 5'11 and wondered what frame size I'll be after, I've read 56cm but would like a second opinion.
    Frame size is dependant on many factors such as height, inside leg, torso length, arm length, type of frame (ie compact or traditional), flexibility, what type of cycling you intend to do etc.

It's very hard to give advice on this remotely although not impossible. Trying bikes for size is the safest bet but providing more information would help. If you have decided which bike to buy, that would also be useful.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Have a look at...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

insert your measurements and it will give you all the essential frame dimensions to let you know your bike size based on your riding style
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I'm also 5'11 and ride a 56, but as lotus49 said, lot's of other factors. Get in a shop and try some for size if it's your first bike and then buy with confidence.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Each manufacturer can quote/measure their frame differently from one another so it's not as simple as "I need a 56".

You may need a 56 in a Trek but could need a 54 in a Cannondale and so on.

Key bike measurements are seat tube length, top tube length and steerer tube length as these set the geometry and therefore how they fit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • skid4.5
    skid4.5 Posts: 12
    I'm a smudge under six foot and ride a trek 58 , could have got away with 56 but felt cramped and would have had biggish handlebar drop (which some might prefer). My point is everyone's different, yes a fitting helps but u have to feel comfortable yourself and size and fit your bike to what you are going to use it for. I find the 58 is great for the long rides I am aiming at but if I wanted to race I would probably get a 56 and set it up a bit more aero.