1st tour - Cleats or Toeclips? (+ other rookie questions)

dynamicbrick
dynamicbrick Posts: 460
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
Touring novice, but would appreciate the collective knowledge - me and a mate are planning a mini tour of Northern France for the summer. Newhaven-Dieppe, then going round the battlefields of the area (Abbeville, Arras, Cambrai, etc) before going up to Calais and back via Dover. Nothing heavy - averaging 35 miles per day; more of a week's chillout out on the bike than anything else. Travelling light, using B&Bs.

I'm intending on using my new Cube Peloton - not really a tourer, no rack mounts or anything, but the short days and relative proximity to home means it should be fine. I have been studying what everyone else does, and would appreciate some pointers;

Would you use cleats, or pedals & toeclips? There is advantage of not having to carry a pair of shoes (probably Adidas Gazelles or similar).

Wheels - the 20/26 spoke Shimano R500 on the Cube are very light, but not that strong. I've got an old set of 36 hole Vuelta training wheels; be sensible to swap to them?

Clothing - I'm thinking a swap to baggy MTB gear might make for a more relaxing day's ride. We've got all day to cover these distances, so expecting to spend more time of the journey off the bike than on.

Any other tips/tricks gratefully received!

Comments

• In my opinion, if you already have the clipless pedals and shoes with recessed cleats (so you can walk around normally of the bike with them), then take them. If not, you might as well go with toe clips; and then decide later whether you will use the bike more for touring / road rides and buy the appropriate shoes / pedals accordingly.

I think the wheels you have on should be ok if you are going very light and stick to well surfaced roads. However, as the weight isn't real a concern to you, it might be better to put the sturdier Vuelta ones on - it would be a hassle if you got a broken spoke in the middle of nowhere.

Do you plan to carry your stuff in a rucksack? If so, I would go really light (less than 5kg if possible), because even with short distances, it can get pretty uncomfortable day after day, especially if you use the drops a lot.
  • Thanks Ian.

No chance am I wearing anything on my back - I find them uncomfortable just riding back from the shops with a loaf of bread in the things. Riding in the summer with them is a no-no for me.

Looks like it's going to be a Carradice longflap 18L thing on the seatpost, plus a toptube bag for money, cash, phone, etc.

Not got recessed cleats on my shoes, and using SPD540SLs at the moment. Which means I'd need a pair of plimsolls (basically), which are not heavy but at size 11 take up a lot of room, even flattened.

I've bent the front wheel already on a minor pothole, so concerned about that. The Vueltas aren't light by road standards 1000/1600g with cassette as I recall, but still pretty good. Although now I've thought about it, it's an 8spd hub on the back, Cube has 10...
  • I use cleats when cycling short distances but toe clips when touring. Like you, when touring speed is not an issue to me and with the right pair of shoes there is one less item to include in your longflap which is important.

Personally I would not tour with lightweight/fragile wheels but prefer something bombproof as it is one less thing to worry about.

Clothing-wise I use 3/4 length shorts from Rapha if having a short day including walking around towns but lycra if covering some miles in the country. Fat men in lycra are not uncommon on the continent if no better looking.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I would definitely go with flat pedals, with or without the toeclips.

It is just so much easier just taking one pair of shoes. Like you I have big feet (bigger actually) and big shoes take up a lot of space in a pannier.
  • shimano sandals --warm climate they really are good !
  • Thanks chaps, appreciate the pointers.

I'm wondering whether to get a more touring orientated frame from somewhere and taking all the gear off my modernised 80s Peugeot (Dura-Ace and 105 mostly) rather than taking the Cube. The riding position on the Cube is pretty aggressive, and pretty head-down - not great for scenery spotting.

The flipside is that there's some pretty short and spiteful climbs en route, which I'd appreciate the lighter Cube on... although that said, I could put a triple up front on whatever I build.

Still, plenty of good advice, and lots to take on board now.

Ta muchly.
  • Some trainer-style SPD shoes would be OK unless you're doing long hikes. Ideally some with plenty of flex for walking and with a well-recessed cleat so you're not clattering when putting your feet down on pavements (these bits are difficult to gauge before you've tried the shoes out, though an idea of flexibility should be given in the product description) . I used some cheap Lidl 'Cross X' shoes for commuting and at work for quite a while (involved a lot of outdoor walking at a zoo), and they were (still are) very good and didn't look out of place for general wear.

When I toured Holland last September I took touring-style walkable Shimano SPD shoes, plus some very light plimsolls for off-bike duties (walking round Amsterdam would have been too much for the bike shoes, I think). You can always stuff socks, etc inside the plimmers to save a bit more space.