Sky - Investment into Cycling but not TV rights?

Bullet1
Bullet1 Posts: 161
edited January 2013 in Pro race
Sky have obviously spent a serious amount of cash on Team Sky and British Cycling and are doing an awful lot through Sky ride etc.

So the question is why do they not broadcast any of the big races? (Although the Tour down Under is on Sky but think this was on last year)

Surely their budget is significantly bigger than Eurosport and more relevant than ITV4?

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Nothing to be gained?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Probably down to that very thing - the investment in cycling as a whole. Rather than spend a fortune on coverage rights (ok, comparatively speaking it wouldn't be a fortune to the likes of the Premiershit etc.) they're seeing a better return on their investment with the team and British Cycling as a whole.

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't too keen on sticking themselves in the firing line for accusations of bias broadcasting either, especially given Team Sky's success. Much easier (and safer) to leave the waxing lyrical to Eurosport IMO.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ASO only sell the rights to their races to free to air national broadcasters and that's a lot of the more interesting races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Also, what's the point of advertising your product exclusively to people who already pay for it?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95 wrote:
    ASO only sell the rights to their races to free to air national broadcasters and that's a lot of the more interesting races.

So how does that work with Eurosport?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

So how does that work with Eurosport?
    They're not a national broadcaster. They're a pan European broadcaster, supplementary to the national broadcasters. They don't have exclusive rights to anything, something which is necessary for Sky.
  • RichN95.
    Also, what's the point of advertising your product exclusively to people who already pay for it?
    Some people (like me) watch Sky Sports via the Virgin Media platform.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    RichN95 wrote:
    Also, what's the point of advertising your product exclusively to people who already pay for it?

You don't have to pay for it?
  • RichN95.
    Garry H wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You don't have to pay for it?
    Yeah, of course. But Sky's main business is subscriptions to their Sky+ boxes rather than their channels.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

I think it's wider than ASO
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Ironically, there are concerns that the RCS will sign their races over to Sky Italia
    and dump RAI.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • People won't buy Sky to watch cycling in the UK - well not yet anyway. So there is no point in Sky investing in broadcasting when itv and eurosport are bigging up the team they sponsor
  • Logging in anonymously for this, but a major media company I dealt with was looking at sports TV rights and wouldn't touch cycling with a barge pole because all UK interest will be dominated by Team Sky - their competitor.

Just by having Team Sky, Sky are effectively fending off other TV providers from moving into cycling. I bet if cycling continues to increase in popularity in this country they'll make a move on it sooner or later...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I've actually been really impressed with what Sky did with their F1 coverage -> I thought the BBC coverage in previous years had been superb but Sky had the budget to take it up a level.

So I think it would be interesting to see what they'd do with cycling... but its never going to happen because they sponsor the team so all the Team Sky haters wouldn't be interested... and I'd be afraid of it turning into the 'Team Sky show'
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2013
    Logging in anonymously for this, but a major media company I dealt with was looking at sports TV rights and wouldn't touch cycling with a barge pole because all UK interest will be dominated by Team Sky - their competitor.

It wasn't CyclingTV, was it? When I had their subscription, I couldn't touch cycling with a barge pole, either...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I've actually been really impressed with what Sky did with their F1 coverage -> I thought the BBC coverage in previous years had been superb but Sky had the budget to take it up a level.

Agreed. You can say what you like about Murdoch's evil empire, but they know how to cover sports well. Football, cricket, F1 are all covered so much better now than they ever were by the terrestrial channels.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2013
    Agreed. You can say what you like about Murdoch's evil empire, but they know how to cover sports well. Football, cricket, F1 are all covered so much better now than they ever were by the terrestrial channels.
    Channel 4 were the ones who first revolutionised cricket coverage (e.g. Hawk-eye). Credit where it's due. Twenty20 would have failed without Sky though.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458

I think the sky coverage of F1 is cack compared to the BBC (Granted ITV was rubbish) At the moment I pay enough for sky as it is, if they started showing all the races on sky you would end up paying even more and having to get the sports channels as an extra. I think Eurosport is fine!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I agree the sky F1 coverage is good, but its mainly the before and after bits they can have affect on, with cycling they'd still have to take the pictures from the host broadcaster. I can't see how they'd improve things (other than stating and finishing somewhere near the advertised time I suppose). As long as Eurosport have harmon & Kelly it's all good as far as I'm concerned
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Ironically, there are concerns that the RCS will sign their races over to Sky Italia
    and dump RAI.

Well, RAI is ailing badly...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Paul 8v wrote:

I think the sky coverage of F1 is cack compared to the BBC (Granted ITV was rubbish) At the moment I pay enough for sky as it is, if they started showing all the races on sky you would end up paying even more and having to get the sports channels as an extra. I think Eurosport is fine!

I'm probably biased because I have Sky Sports already for the Football so if they started showing cycling It wouldn't make a difference to my subscription.
    prawny wrote:
    I agree the sky F1 coverage is good, but its mainly the before and after bits they can have affect on, with cycling they'd still have to take the pictures from the host broadcaster. I can't see how they'd improve things (other than stating and finishing somewhere near the advertised time I suppose). As long as Eurosport have harmon & Kelly it's all good as far as I'm concerned

I imagine Sky would get better pundits in, better features, more detailed analysis etc.

On ITV and Eurosport the pundits are terrible and they just get Rob Hayles to drone on about how he fancies Cav.

I'll concede that Harmon and Kelly are probably the best commentators though :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    To be fair, I barely have time to watch the race, I don't think I've ever watched any cycling punditry.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017