Pain in my bum

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I have been riding for about a year now and can do around 20 to 30 miles before my backside hurts to much to carry on, i wear padded shorts, the question is is it the seat or the shorts or just my bum,

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    have you checked the saddle height ? what angle is the saddle at ? what saddle is it ?
    could be a number of things but my guesses would be in the order above !
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Could be many things but start with cheapest to fix first. Saddle height and angle. Is there a bend in your knee at full extension? there should be. Is the pain a single forward point or a double point pain or all 3 points?
  • dave02
    Saddle height right i think, i have slight bend in my knee at full extension, the saddle is a Canyon and is level, the pain is a double point at the back
  • andi1363
    Try tilting the saddle up at the nose. I have to do his and I am using Selle Italia Flites
  • andi1363
    edited January 2013
    If this doesn't help, consider trying a different saddle. Some dealers have a device for measuring your sit bones width so might be worth finding one?

http://www.selleitalia.com/se_it3/idmat ... r-idmatch/
  • dave02
    i am new to the tech talk, is there a big difference in the make of a saddle
  • andi1363
    dave02 wrote:
    i am new to the tech talk, is there a big difference in the make of a saddle

Finding a saddle that fits "you" is a bit of a holy grail. Trouble is they are expensive so we can't easily try them all. Some shops were doing demo models so speak to your local shop.

Fizik do a try before you buy scheme.

http://www.elitecycling.co.uk/fizik-saddle-centre.html

This one looks better value:

http://www.aerocycles.co.uk/fizik_saddles.html
  • dave02
    thanks for your help, i will give it a try, just one more thing , do padded shorts come in thicker padding and would this help
  • andi1363
    Yes and yes! The thickness and quality of the shorts/pad in generally linear with the cost. Buy the best shorts you can afford would be my advice. Also pad cream can help too,
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    dave02 wrote:
    thanks for your help, i will give it a try, just one more thing , do padded shorts come in thicker padding and would this help

Dave mentioned this before somewhere. There's Scott bib shorts on dale cycles reduced from £80 to £18. I bought a pair they're brown so they look a bit pony but they're very very comfortable. Check em out cause I'm not sure how many they've got left. Could be a good starting place.
  • leepez
    leepez Posts: 33
    dave02 wrote:

I remember going back last year when I started out cycling, I bought a pair of cycling padded shots to get me started from sports direct for £6. My first couple of rides started off at 6 miles and ended up around 20 miles not long after before my butt could just not take anymore.
    I invested in some DHB pro bib shorts and the difference was amazing, so comfortable and I am now regularly doing 50 -60 miles with no comfort issues in that area anymore.
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    Tetley10 wrote:
    dave02 wrote:

Dave mentioned this before somewhere. There's Scott bib shorts on dale cycles reduced from £80 to £18. I bought a pair they're brown so they look a bit pony but they're very very comfortable. Check em out cause I'm not sure how many they've got left. Could be a good starting place.

Ooh ta, just ordered a pair :)
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • dave02
    Thanks guys, is there an issue with toilet stops when wearing bibs ?
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    dave02 wrote:

In my experience there can be. Usually involves some moderate stretching and bending to gain the appropriate clearance between the 'stream' and the material. :)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    dave02 wrote:

Not if you buy those brown ones :D
  • dave02
    Thanks all, give the BROWN ones a go
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    dave02 wrote:
    I have been riding for about a year now

Has anyone done the "I'm not surprised then, I get a pain after 4 hours" gag yet? :oops:
  • dave02
    They have now !. Any info on lycra shorts , i dont think bibs are that practical for me ( i do a lot of peeing) its an age thing, whats the best padding out there ?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Pross wrote:
    dave02 wrote:
    I have been riding for about a year now

Has anyone done the "I'm not surprised then, I get a pain after 4 hours" gag yet? :oops:

Surprised we aint had the "are you sure you even have a saddle" gag yet
  • I had a similar issue to you. After 30ish miles 1-2hours of riding i was getting a very sore rear end. In my situation it wasn't anything to do with the bib shorts as they were pretty good anyway.
    I ended up testing 6-7 seats before I found a seat which supported me well. I started with a Bontrager then went through many Fizik seats and the only one that did the job was a Specialized Romin. Took me 2 months to get it sorted.
  • dave02
    is there any one out there who wants to help a novice rider or just take the p---, i joined bike radar because i read in cycling plus that it was a community that was worth joining,
  • dave02
    Thanks chaycurtin for the info (i just read your post),
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    Check out the DHB bib trousers as they have a zip on the chest which allows you to pee on the ground and not on your clothes without having to stretch them too far
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I had a terrible time trying to reduce my @rse pain. In the end it was a combination of minute saddle adjustments (counter-intuitive at the time), handlebar adjustments, and a decent pair of bibs with a pad. I tried on 7 pairs from different brands. The shop were very unimpressed at my missus taking back 6 pairs. It is highly subjective though and I think that the saddle adjustments made the biggest difference but I needed the handlebar adjustments and bibs too. Prior to that I tried a multitude of saddles and was sorely disappointed with nearly all of them (pun intended).

My problem was that I always ended up too far to the front of the saddle, even after starting off in what seemed like a comfy position. A friend noticed that my toes were dipping slightly, which was effectively pushing me forward. I adjusted the saddle until my foot position was better. The minor adjustment to the handlebars were the tilt, to get a bit better balance between front and back. The padded shorts were icing on the cake but probably helped out when I did my first 100 miler in September.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    padded shorts are just to stop chaffing, sounds like ya saddle isn't your friend
  • dave02
    thanks, i will have a go at altering my riding position, theres more to this bike ridding than you would think, i have a lot to learn
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    How often do you ride?

I've found on mountain bikes that you need to harden up a bit if you are not riding regularly. After a short layoff I get always seem to get sore for the first few weeks back in the saddle. And then it just sorts it self out.

So if you are just riding every now and then you might never get past the pain point.

If you are still getting sore after 2-3 rides a week for a couple of weeks then think about buying a new saddle.
  • dave02
    I ride 2 or 3 times a week 10/20 miles depending on the weather and time allowed, now that it has been pointed out (see previous post) i have noticed that i tend to move forward on my seat whats causing this, i have done a home bike fit (watched a you tube video) so think the saddle is right hieght , i prefer a more upright position .