Frame Advice

jd1986
jd1986 Posts: 7
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey all

Basically in the market for a new frame wanting something full suspension thats suited to DH style riding, i have just got rid of my hardtail but i do have bits left over as in brakes, handlebars etc etc

Ideally ive got around £300-£350 to spend on it was looking at something along these lines

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1241025/

Am i looking at the wrong thing as if im honest im totally out of my depth and not really sure whats good and whats bad.

Cheers for the help

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    If theres any doubt, don't buy. If your set on buying second hand i'd be a lot more carefull - as if you're still new to MTB then you don't know necessarily what to look for. Buying new you'll be more confident in the kit. You could buy components over time and build the bike up if your're on a budget.

In reference to the bike you've linked, i'm hesitant to comment as I do not know the bike let alone condition, components etc. Different bikes cater for different needs. There can be bikes that are pure DH, or pure XC, or a mix. You need to find the one for you
  • What do you mean by "downhill style"? Having to get a lift to the top of a dedicated downhill run, or something full suss that you can ride to the top easily then barrel down red/black runs at trail centres? The latter will be more usable than a dedicated downhill rig for general xc type riding.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    What do you mean by "downhill style"? Having to get a lift to the top of a dedicated downhill run, or something full suss that you can ride to the top easily then barrel down red/black runs at trail centres? The latter will be more usable than a dedicated downhill rig for general xc type riding.

The latter is most likely to be what he is looking for. I doubt that if hes new he'll be going straight into serious downhill so he'll be looking for xc elements in the bike.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Brand new stinky frame for £299? don't know if the 2002 date is accurate though?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=74460
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Need to budget a couple of hndred at leats for the shock as well.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.