Freezing mechs?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone else have the problem of freezing mechs whilst riding in these conditions?

What do you use to sort them out? Will some de-icer spray used for windscreens etc be ok?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Defrost, water dispersant (such as WD40 or GT85) and then lube them, if they are lubed water can't get in....

Cables are more likely to freeze than mechs.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanDax1990
    The problem I had was on Friday it was bloody cold and I was out for a ride. The snow was gathering in the spring on my rear mech which was freezing solid. Also there was a lot of snow gathering in and around the front mech which was doing the same.

Better than mud gathering there but they were freezing solid. I was giving them a spray with GT85 but it wasn't shifting.

Would de-icer work better? Then give them a spray with GT85 afterwards?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Knock the ice off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    I tried that but the ice inside the spring on the rear mech was frozen solid...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Hot water.
  • DanDax1990
    Apart from pissing on it... Where do I get hot water from in the middle of the woods? lol
  • If your spring is frozen you are going to struggle to sort it out on the fly.

As others have suggested when home defrost, clean and lube but consider using a small amount of grease on/in the spring with the housing lubed as normal. This will not stop the snow getting into the spring housing but should keep it off the spring and stop the snow compacting and turing to ice in the spring body.

Seems to work pretty well with my MTB.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Single speed... If it freezes solid wait till you get home and defrost.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hot water/Urine just makes it worse when that refreezes...I guess a can of screen de-icer would help, but plenty of lube to stop it sticking in the first place.....that and let the bike get cold before you ride so it's not warm and melting the snow to let it refreeze.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Once it's frozen you have to let it thaw before you can fix it.

Blast with WD40 then oil with something heavier.

Shifters are vulnerable too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}