loads of novice questions....

Grinner1982
Grinner1982 Posts: 19
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
i only ever really ridden a hybrid so im trying to understand what things i should be looking for in a road bike and the choice is vast.

im trying to pick a bike that will last me some years and will be usefull going forward into the hobby as im aiming for 50 mile sportives evntually.

im getting a bike, on bike to work scheme and my limit is a grand.Im trying to understand the differences in gears,brakes.

sora,tiagra,105,ultegra,dura?

im looking at 105 as its mid range but dont fully undertsand apart from weight reduction.

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    From Sora to Dura Ace, there in no difference in the method of operation. They all now use two levers to shift. Pushing the small lever behind the brake lever inwards shifts the chain onto a smaller chainring or rear sprocket. Pushing the brake lever itself inwards shifts the chain in the opposite direction i.e. onto a bigger chain ring or sprocket. You can also shift 2 or 3 gears (depending on group set) in one longer sweep of the brake lever.

There are performance advantages in terms of faster, smoother shifting but well set Sora will be better than poorly set up Dura Ace. BR have an article this week on the benefits of using good cables and cable outers and the effect they have on shifting and braking performance.

You do save weight and there are other benefits. For example, I find Dura Ace bottom bracket bearings wear much better and for 20 quid online, I just plump for them.

Shimano 105 is generally considered by magazine reviews to be the best in terms of cost versus performance. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Tiagra and Sora though.

There are 'lower' Shimano group sets (2200, 2300) that use a thumb switch instead of the small lever. The positioning of this thumb switch means that it's not possible to use it when you are 'down on the drops' (i.e. a sprinting position)

To keep the owners of other manufacturers group sets happy there is SRAM who have a 'Double Tap' system with a sngle lever where a click shifts the chain one way and a long sweep shifts it the other (I've never ridden SRAM so I don't know which way is which)

Another alternative is Campagnolo. They use a lever and a thumb switch. The thumb switch is in a better position than on the cheaper Shimano systems so they can be operated from all hand positions. The lever shifts the chain onto a larger ring/sprocket. The thumb switch operated the derailleurs in the opposite direction. I've never used Campag in anger, but the fans say that the abity to shift all 10 cogs with one sweep of the thumb was an advantage. I'm not sure you'd ever need to do all 10, but 3 or 4 or 5 would sometimes be nice. That being said, I don't think that some of the newer Campagnolo groupsets allow that either. Someone will no doubt be along to confirm or deny!

There are other companies such as Microshift who I believe have designed a Shimano double lever type system. I have no idea about the performance of their products.

Whatever is fitted, as you spend more money, there will be savings in weight and increase in shifting performance but the law of diminishing returns applies!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    You should be able to get 105 groupset for your grand on cycle to work scheme, but you'll do very well to get something with Ultegra 6700 (may even be impossible for C2W) and no chance of DA7900 so you can take that out of the equation - unless you are allowed to top-up of course.

You should try the SRAM and Campag groupsets too, to see which you prefer. I've used all 3 and would be happy to use all 3 again (although I currently have SRAM on my bikes).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    schweiz wrote:
    I've never used Campag in anger, but the fans say that the abity to shift all 10 cogs with one sweep of the thumb was an advantage. I'm not sure you'd ever need to do all 10, but 3 or 4 or 5 would sometimes be nice. That being said, I don't think that some of the newer Campagnolo groupsets allow that either. Someone will no doubt be along to confirm or deny!

Not a single press to go all the way but I think 4 in one go is more like it. But you are right - the cheaper Campag systems no longer have this feature and the more expensive ones are out of reach of C2W.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Up to a grand will get you an extremely capable bike. The absolute truth is that even a £300 Triban 3 is more than capable of Sportive use. As you get higher up, frames are more refined, better drivetrains, better stiffness and comfort etc.

If you have all £1000 to spend on the bike, (don't forget any clothing/spares etc.) then you'll be able to get a good aluminium frame, carbon forks and 105 drivetrain (or equivalent). An easy example is the Giant Defy 1.

If you want to get other bits and pieces in with the £1000 then dropping down to about £800 doesn't lose you a lot. A Giant Defy 2 is £800 and uses Tiagra instead of 105 and a metal seatpost instead of carbon, the frame is identical and it still has carbon forks.

There are loads of different makes, so have a go on a few different bikes at different price points and you will be able to tell the differences.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Thanks for the responses I think i shall stick with 105's Ive got 3 bikes in mind

The cube peloton race, felt z85 and giant defy 1 but that doesn't come in stock while April, I'm kind of swaying towards the felt z85 as the guy at je James really reccomened (maybe a little naive) he also said the cube pelotons weren't as good a finish welding wise, but maybe it's probably nit picking between all three models, I can't find many reviews on the z85 as yet.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    The best review is a test-ride. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Groupsets - 105 I would put on a par with campag veloce , ridden both and equally capable , a mate of mine is looking at the defy as a c2w purchase and having looked at it and read reviews it is probably the 'best' one out there.
    Realistically if your new to road bikes try a couple for test rides , if you can't get a test ride don't buy it as a poorly fitting bargain vs a well fitting v good bike .............
    At a grand you will not get a bad bike , don't forget all the extras though , shoes , pedals , decent set of shorts .... it all adds up but you can get some good deals but beware of sizing !!!!
    can't comment on sram - never used it but plenty of fans out there.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !