Mudguards - Really needed?

Bullet1
Bullet1 Posts: 161
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I fitted some Crud Racers to my bike a couple of weeks ago but since have changed my tyres to Conti GP 24s. My old tyres were 23mm. Since swapping the tyres I can't for the life of me get them to fit and run smoothly.

So, the question is - do you really need them?
I generally cycle alone so don't give others my spray and largely speaking if its wet my bike need cleaning regardless.....plus it's easier to clean without mud guards.
The only other reason would be to keep your clothing drier and cleaner?

Am I missing something?

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Depends on what you are willing to put up with really. You may feel ok cycling on main roads and having water sprayed up your back but if you cover country lanes where there is mud and god knows what on the road, you may need some protection.
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Personally I prefer riding with mudguards, as theres nothing worse than the feeling of a wet chamois on a long ride, especially if you have to restart after a puncture etc.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    The reason they won't fit since changing your tyres is that some frames only have enough enough clearance for Cruds when 23mm tyres are being used - you may of course be aware of this fact.

If you don't mind a sh-te stripe up your back constantly & you ride alone then you don't need guards although they do a good job of protecting the drivetrain as well as your clothing (which can pick up oil marks thrown up from the road, which may not wash out easily).
  • Water mud and whatever else from the rear wheel makes for a very messy top & bike too. As for the front wheel expect spray on your bottles too.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    this?
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CFWI0001BB
    I'm sure I've seen a smaller one which attaches (I think) to the saddle rails. just designed to keep your a*se (sorry, chamois) dry...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    the smaller one I was thinking is this:
    http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?rout ... ry&path=48
    possibly a little small for a road bike and presumably not compatible with a saddle with a saddle bag...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    If the road is wet or raining I use a MTB mudguard that clips on/off the seatpost in seconds. Use it on (or off) my commuter3000k per year all seasons and it keeps my chamois dry.
  • Nope, it just helps to keep you dry. I detest mudguards, but I still use them as I am in a club and throwing muck into the face of the person behind is not the nicest thing.
  • Depends how wet it is. I was riding quite a lot in the evenings during the floods before Christmas. Going through so much standing water, my feet would have been soaked through within minutes if I hadn't had mudguards.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Yes they are necessary - if you care about your bicycle's drive train or give a damn about anyone riding around you or near you when you pass, or are passed by them. Sure you can take a shower and launder your cycling clothes - but think of others, and think of your drivetrain. Mudguards keep a lot of road gunk from getting into the chain, chainrings, mechs etc. By protecting these bits your bike will not only run better but you will get a lot more mileage out of your chain etc.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'm a fan of mudguards but I ride a lot in groups and hate getting a wet arse so well worth it for me, if you don't ride in groups and the wet arse doesn't bother you then probably not worth bothering
  • Went for a ride minus mudguards, drivetrain filthy meaning accelerated wear. Same ride the next day, same conditons and the drivetrain was nowhere near as dirty. Added bonus i wasnt covered in rubbish
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I like to cycle all year round, and given our climate I chose my bike so I could run 25mm tyres and full mudguards. Can't see the sense in showering myself and the bike with sh1te.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    I have Cruds on my winter bike now but up until last year I had never used mudguards. Even now, on a club run there will probably only be a couple of people using guards. Without a mud flap they don't do much for protecting others from your spray and I usually end up soaked on a wet ride with or without guards. However, using them helps keep the back of your shorts a bit cleaner and protects the bike a bit.
  • andyoh
    andyoh Posts: 115
    I commute into the City of London and it really is a pain in the neck if you're behind someone with no mudguards in the wet as you do get soaked from there spray. Remember you're also protecting your clothing and drive train by using mudguards. I don't particularly like mud guards but they are necessary.

The club I ride with on a Sunday insist on using mudguards on your bike from 1 October through to 1 April, it's actually noted in the club's rule book, otherwise you're frowned upon and made to ride at the back and you will be told not to ride with them unless you've got them fitted for the next ride.

I use Crud Road Racer 2's with 23mm tyres on my winter bike as I have very minimal clearance. I have had to extend the rear mud guard by a further 5 inches as I was moaned at by other riders behind me on the club ride as I was soaking them with my spray and I was using full length Crud Road Racer 2's. I cut up an old black flower pot and used that for the extension piece and it works a treat.