V Brake issues Avid SD 5 brakes with SD7 levers- Please help

HeatherMillsLeg
HeatherMillsLeg Posts: 90
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi - read the rules and do expect sarcastic replies!

Have tried as many videos and online manuals as I can take and not getting anywhere.

Have Avid SD 5 brakes and SD7 levers. My problem isn't with these - more how to set up.

Wheels are true and bike is in a stand.

ATM the brakes are stopping the wheels and not rubbing when in the stand. However the levers are very loose - I hardly want to touch them to engage.

Also - even when the levers are loose and I am braking one of the sides of the brakes "sticks" to the rim - doesn't seem to do it when actually riding the bike.

I know about adjusting the barrels and spring screws etc but I am messing up somewhere and is probably a real easy fix - but driving me crazy. Just work & be tight & spring back!!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated - Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The only way to get them to engage quicker is to adjust the cable tension so the pads are practically touching the rim. But they are not really designed to be run this way.

Check the pads are hitting the rim squarely, and are not overhanging the rim. Are the pads clean, with no ridges on them.

Adjust the speed dial red dial to minimum leverage. This gives a firmer feel.

If the pad still doesn't move back, add spring tension to the V brake arm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    best description on how to do it and what does what

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... brake-type
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic wrote:
    The only way to get them to engage quicker is to adjust the cable tension so the pads are practically touching the rim. But they are not really designed to be run this way.

Check the pads are hitting the rim squarely, and are not overhanging the rim. Are the pads clean, with no ridges on them.

Adjust the speed dial red dial to minimum leverage. This gives a firmer feel.

If the pad still doesn't move back, add spring tension to the V brake arm.

Thanks for the quick repl(ies) Gonna give another go!

Know I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. Will get back in the stand and then start again.

Problem is seem fine in the stand - then about on the 10nth spin one of the arms sticks and I have to pull it out. Admittedly this doesn't actually happen when out on the bike.

Maybe I am worrying about nothing!!

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    suspension fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • No - I actually have em on my hybrid but thought I'd get a quicker response on here - sorry!

I did too. Checked out that PT link and tried following to a T.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, for riding a hybrid! I guess it is just a case of messing around until they are tight and spring back and don't rub - it looks Oh so simple!

Great brakes though - when set up right. Lol
  • nicklouse
    nothing wrong with Hybrids.

Parktools is better than just about all the other tech help sites and vids. bookmark it ;)

good to hear that you have sorted it.
  • The pads appear to be striking in the right place and 90% of time in unison. Just occasionally when in stand and I'm testing one sticks and thereafter wheel doesn't spin freely unless I "pinch the arms".

As said, when riding I'm not noticing any probs.

Perhaps tighten cables fully and loosen springs completely and work from there?

Is that a fix?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nothing wrong with Hybrids.

Parktools is better than just about all the other tech help sites and vids. bookmark it ;)

good to hear that you have sorted it.

I haven't but am gonna have another go - thanks for the help. Know I must sound like a complete incompetent - and I am - but jeez - this looks like a simple fix!!!

Aaargh!

:wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you removed the arms and cleaned and greased the pivots?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have you removed the arms and cleaned and greased the pivots?

No - I haven't but will do seeing that I am going to be starting again. Didn't think I'd have to seeing that they have only been on about 3 months and do keep the bike clean.

When actually riding the bike there doesn't seem to be a problem. It's just when in the stand. I spin the wheel 9 times and engage and it appears perfect. However the 10th spin the left hand arm will stick!

Driving me nuts - as you can tell and am probably worrying about nothing but surely if I spin the wheel 100 X shouldn't stick at all if set up right?

Cheers anyway
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If they work in the real world, what's the problem?
  • If they work in the real world, what's the problem?

Pretty obvious that you like the sound of your own voice more than anything else.

Not exactly helpful are you - judging by your posts?

Whatever floats ya boat tho pal.

I find it easier to ignore people I can't help or have nothing of note to say.

Unlike you.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Dude, I grew up on bossed brakes.

What you are saying happens, happens in a stand and not the real world where the bike flexes under its, yours and what ever it hits weight/response to. So when riding and all is good, just ride and enjoy it.