luggage with a 25mm road tyre

mikebikemike
mikebikemike Posts: 166
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
I'm looking at buying a bike for fast commuting. Some nice road bikes take guards these days. I was wondering if I could get away with a road bike with 25mm tyres with a saddle bag with a laptop in.
I'm hoping that by wacking a bit more air in the tyres I can survive without pinch flats or wheels falling to bits.

I'm 12 stone assuming at worst the bag weighs 2 stones then this will be the same a 14 stoner on a road bike. Or does it not work like that?

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Should be OK. Maybe consider a tyre with very strong casing.

The only thing to bare in mind is that it will be an additional 2 stone of static weight on the back wheel. Your body weight is much more dynamic - you can shift it about - and is better spread over both wheels.

FWIW I used to ride with panniers on 23mm tyres.

Rob
  • I'm just over 14 stone with a 11 litre carradice saddle bag (normally packed full) and mount...and both 23mm and 25mm are absolutely fine (25mm are more comfortable)

Just make sure your tyres are pumped up and you'll be fine
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I ride 25c Gatorskins with a pannier rack and bag. I've ridden like this for a year and think it could have led to the early failure of the sidewall but can't be 100% sure as I had played with the tyre before this potential cause occurred to me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • thanks chaps, it certainly sounds like it's doable but maybe with caution and a trackpump
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm about 80kg and I often ride a road bike with 700x23 tyres whilst carrying a rucksack weighing up to 30kg and I've never had probs...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.