New helmet

Rambo_123
Rambo_123 Posts: 183
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am on the lookout for a new helmet and i came across this one...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=89733

I like the look of it and i was wondering if anyone had any experiance with it or any other full face options in the under £100 price bracket?

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Nope not tried that one

There are some discounts on Fox Rampage at the moment - limited colours and sizes but good prices. Fox Europe are based in Gateshead and allegedly are not averse to sale-or-return. My lbs got a couple in different sizes for me to try it may be worth asking yours. Giro Remedy a very similar fit, 661 Evo kind of bigger all round and less of a motorbike helmet than the other two.

In terms of fit you shouldn't be able to pull the helmet off over your head from behind and your face should move with the helmet when you turn it from side-to-side.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are a bit cheap and nasty. Finish and lining aren't very good, even basic 661 helmets are better finished.
    It didn't fit me but I use a Urge Down-O-Matic which doesn't fit a lot of other people so I must have an odd shape head.
  • Rambo_123
    Ah thanks, will take the sizing into account!

Cheers, i think im going to go for the 661 comp.
    Here it is, the reviews seem to be raving about it. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72416
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I had a 661 comp lid (still do), it's alright for the money, but my O'neal Airtech just feels much safer/more secure.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rambo_123
    Its a bit out of my budget (under £70)

I came accross this bluegrass one, thoughts?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=80027
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    661 recon is on sale at ChainReactionCycles.

Giro Xar is the best out though, in my opinion!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You said £100 earlier, I got my Airtech for £100 on the dot.
    Best thing is to try some on and see what fits. I had to try a few to get the right one. Found that 661 lids and O'neal lids fitted me, but THE lids and Bluegrass lids didn't.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rambo_123
    edited January 2013
    ilovedirt wrote:
    You said £100 earlier

Oh yeah, sorry :? it was but now i am getting new pedals - Superstar Nano's - and have decided that £70 is what i really want to spend. although that magnetic clip did get me a bit excited!
  • Rambo_123
    Concorde wrote:
    661 recon is on sale at ChainReactionCycles.

Giro Xar is the best out though, in my opinion!

looking for a full face one, thanks anyway :)
  • Rambo_123
    edited January 2013
    Looks like a trip to the lbs is in order, i might just wait a couple of months for my birthday, the helmet i have now is allright i suppose but its a bit flimsy and i don't think it would handle a proper big "off" straight onto the head.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Rambo_123 wrote:
    Looks like a trip to the lbs is in order, i might just wait a couple of months for my birthday the helmet i have now is allright i suppose but its a bit flimsy and i don't think it would handle a proper big "off" straight onto the head.
    unlikely that a brand new one would help with that either
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Rambo_123
    I suppose but it would offer more ventilation which would be a big boost!

Here is a pic of my present one...
    8409148152_b1944c6fb7.jpg
    Helmet by Rambo_123, on Flickr