Fraud & Armstrong

13»

Comments

• Daz555 wrote:
    plectrum wrote:
    Trev,

No problem with this premise but then the laws need to be applied to every athlete who has committed similar fraud otherwise it is really discrimination.
    There is always someone who is the first to lose out as a result of applying new law or applyling law differently. Someone has to be first - Armstrong seems a good choice.

In future I hope to see cheats financially punished far more often.

Boardman's suggestion of banning an entire team from the road for 12 months if a rider fails a test would bring this idea right to the front as such a ruling would mean teams sueing the ars* off cheating riders.

Discussed in another thread. It would also kill off pro cycling once and for all. I like Boardman but this is la-la land stuff.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    How about:

2-4 year ban for being caught - IF you grass up everyone who was involved in your doping and bring evidence to the table about others you know who dope.

Fail to do that and it is a ban for life.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Daz555 wrote:
    plectrum wrote:
    Trev,

No problem with this premise but then the laws need to be applied to every athlete who has committed similar fraud otherwise it is really discrimination.
    There is always someone who is the first to lose out as a result of applying new law or applyling law differently. Someone has to be first - Armstrong seems a good choice.

In future I hope to see cheats financially punished far more often.

Boardman's suggestion of banning an entire team from the road for 12 months if a rider fails a test would bring this idea right to the front as such a ruling would mean teams sueing the ars* off cheating riders.

Discussed in another thread. It would also kill off pro cycling once and for all. I like Boardman but this is la-la land stuff.
    Perhaps. However cycling professes to be a team sport so team punishments are valid. If not a 12 month ban then what? A punitive fine?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    How about:

2-4 year ban for being caught - IF you grass up everyone who was involved in your doping and bring evidence to the table about others you know who dope.

No incentive to lie there then...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • What main name sponsor do you think would want to either continue to fund a team, or come into the sport fresh, with the chance that they could end up having to pay an entire team of riders, backroom staff etc, for all that time when they wouldnt be riding and advertising their name?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    meagain wrote:
    I do not understand WHY the sponsors feel aggreived and cheated. They got the publicity for which they paid at the time AND they are now getting their names in the public eye again - additional exposure, a bonus, that is a direct result of the cheating. If he'd never been caught, then their advertising "returns" would have ended with his wins.

You don't understand why the sponsors feel aggrieved and cheated? Are you a banker?

No. And if I were, what possible relevance would it have to my comments? They did very nicely out of their sponsorship, hence it continuing for many, many years. And as others have reiterated, they are now getting their names in the public eye yet again. For free. Dim apolitical consumers do not think beyond seeing "the name" (just think Olympics). Don't forget these blind accepters of capitalism believe the Daily Mail - capable of independent thought they are not.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Daz555 wrote:
    How about:

Or alternatively cut their goolies off - hang on, we're half way there !