English hand-made shoes

leeefm
leeefm Posts: 260
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I noticed the cut-throat shaving thread and realised that you guys are more discerning than non-cycling types... :wink:

I've been looking for some nice English hand-made shoes for some time, and finally settled on a pair from Cheaney. I've been wanting a pair of English shoes for a while as I didn't want to spend my readies on the usual designer branded stuff. Anyway, I've got to keep these things in decent condition, and was wondering what you guys use to keep them in good shape? I've seen polish, creams, brushes and cloths... what do you reckon?
Shand Skinnymalinky
Argon 18 Radon

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    leeefm wrote:
    [...] what you guys use to keep them in good shape? [...]
    Shoe trees
    leeefm wrote:
    [...] I've seen polish, creams, brushes and cloths... what do you reckon?
    Remove laces
    Cream
    Apply with cloth (toothbrush along welt)
    Buff with brush
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I don't know where I picked it up but my current method is using polish but to melt it using a candle and apply using a cloth. Polish using a brush. A final polish using a separate polishing cloth may buff up even better.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I always used Parade Gloss in the cadets but i read recently it is not so good for leather as it can be drying. Instead I tried beeswax polish which comes up pretty nice. Use a lint free cloth to apply in a circular motion then buff for a good shine.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    A 2nd pair of shoes so you can rotate?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    A 2nd pair of shoes so you can rotate?
    ^this. Wearing the same pair of leather shoes day after day punishes the leather which naturally needs some time off. And shoe trees really help maintain the shape.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • leeefm
    Cheers for the responses so far! The consensus is to get some shoe trees, and then some sort of wax polish or cream.

But I've used wax polishes since I was a kid (on my couldn't quite afford Clark's shoes), and some can have a tendency to dry out the leather, as Kurako said. Would it be better to use the cream and then get a different kind of wax polish on top?

I got some Timpson's Cobblers Cream today, so I hope that will suffice...

And for those suggesting a second pair of shoes; what other brands would you recommend?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Shoe trees yes, but make sure they're wooden not plastic.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DrLex
    leeefm wrote:
    [...]

And for those suggesting a second pair of shoes; what other brands would you recommend?

If you want to keep it British, this page indicates Grenson, Loakes & Barkers keep Cheaney company. The three pairs that I bought from Duckers in Oxford are still going strong almost 30 years later, such that the CFO complains that I have more footwear than her!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    You can find most of the 'standards' on here
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-l ... ?brandid=4 (oh, if you go for someone like churches then apparently best to send back to them to resole as they give the shoe a full service.)
    If you only wear your shoes at the office and special occasions they will probably last you indefinitely.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cyclingprop
    If money were no object, Church's all the way. I'm currently running Loakes.
  • DrLex
    If money were no object, Church's all the way. I'm currently running Loakes.

Without consideration of price, I'd get a last made up and bespeak a pair or two at Lobb's.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    I have some lovely oxblood half-brogue Loakes which just get better with age, but will never be as comfortable and Crockett and Jones, by far my favourites to wear - just don't go clubbing in them. Indeed, Dr Lex, some Lobb's would be great!
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    Grensons for me... Fit well, comfortable and last well.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • leeefm
    Wow, those Lobb's shoes look damn nice. I hate to think how much it would cost though...

The father-in-law just bought a pair of Church's for more than 400 quid, but I chose the cheaper Cheaney's (I think they are owned by Church?).

The Crockett & Jones look nice too though...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you can get really cheap Loakes at a weird little shop which is on the junction of Southampton Row and New Oxford St.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Lobb's are stupidly expensive...

Nothing wrong with a pair of hush puppies, had mine for over 10 years now and they are still like new.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    There's a price list on the Lobb site... they start around £2700...
  • leeefm
    Crikey, that's steep! I've just noticed at the top of the page
    Add VAT (20%) to all prices in the UK
    :o

Still... I could get some felt bath slippers for 847 pounds not including VAT...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • DrLex
    Be amusing if there's a poster on a shoe & boot forum composing a message like
    "Colnagos are stupidly expensive...

Nothing wrong with a Carrera, had mine for over 10 years now and it's still like new."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I appreciate quality and I am happy to pay for it.

In the half price sales. :wink:
    Seriously, these things are rarely a panic buy so why not wait for the sales. Like around now for instance..... :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Get up to Northamptonshire and buy them from the factory shop, you can save a packet.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rubertoe
    Dont get me wrong, I dont mind paying for quality. but £2500+ for a pair of shoes? :?:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Church's would be first choice, but Cheaney are excellent and owned by the Church family. Grenson are good for boots etc but not in the same league as Cheaney. If you want something a little more leftfield then have a look at http://www.jeffery-west.co.uk/

For care - shoe trees and polish. Apply with a brush, leave on overnight and then buff. Try to avoid wearing the same pair of shoes on consecutive days.
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Dont get me wrong, I dont mind paying for quality. but £2500+ for a pair of shoes? :?:
    Quite right. These can be made equally well in a far-east sweat shop for about £25 a pair.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • cyclingprop
    Church's would be first choice, but Cheaney are excellent and owned by the Church family. Grenson are good for boots etc but not in the same league as Cheaney. If you want something a little more leftfield then have a look at http://www.jeffery-west.co.uk/

For care - shoe trees and polish. Apply with a brush, leave on overnight and then buff. Try to avoid wearing the same pair of shoes on consecutive days.

Aren't Church's owned by Prada now?
  • leeefm
    From the Cheaney website...
    In August, 2009, cousins Jonathan and William Church conducted a management buy-out of Cheaney from Church & Co (by then a wholly owned subsidiary of Prada). They now own and operate the company and are committed to continuing the production of high quality shoes entirely made in Northamptonshire, from the cutting out of the leather to the final polishing, just as it was in 1886.

So I can assume that they're still British...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • rubertoe
    Its all cobblers...

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Having two kids and subscribing to the n+1 bike theory I barely have enough cash for food never mind a decent pair of rythmns

However I was rooting around on ebay for some work shoes and bid on a pair of Jean-Baptiste Rautureau boots. Won them for £20 and when they arrived I looked on their website and the were retailing for £600 - the first time I've got a reall bargain on ebay

Best shoes I've ever had
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a pair of loakes and bloody nice they are too, I wouldn't class them as luxury though, they were less than £100.

There's a little book inside that tells you not to wear them two days running and to keep them on cedar shoe trees. I keep them in a box in the cupboard. They only get dragged out for special occasions.

If I were a bit more 'well heeled' (boom boom) I'd get my shoes from here

http://www.crockettandjones.com/Shop/Birmingham

Sorry it's a bit northern for you london types.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    There's a little book inside that tells you not to wear them two days running.

You probably shouldn't wear them for running.....

.... or for riding your bike :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem