Does this look right?

dot1
dot1 Posts: 538
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I think the rear mech on my hardtail might have something wrong with it. Sure is wasn't in this position before, but nothing has happened that I know of. The shifting is a bit ropey, and a new cable, chain and cassette hasn't changed anything. Looking at it, I think the top jockey wheel should be closer to the cassette and more to the right (so in a more north-easterly direction). I've adjusted the B adjustment screw (think that what its called, the other screw that isn't a limit screw) but it didn't do anything. Is it because its a shadow mech? Or am I just imagining things?
p4pb9114623.jpg
p4pb9114625.jpg
Trek Remedy 7 2009
viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012

Comments

• the distance between your top jockey wheel and cassette is to large
    adjust the b screw to bring closer
  • dot1
    I've adjusted the B screw, its wound right out so screwing it in only moves the jockey wheel and the mech further away in the wrong direction. This is why I'm bamboozled.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Who fitted the newstuff?

chain looks too long.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dot1
    I did. It was the same situation with my old cassette which was 32-11T with the chain the correct length. The chain prob is too long, but it was cold and was getting dark so I just whacked it on as quick as I could!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why such a close ratio block with a single ring? Bit limiting?

You won't get that mech all that close, it's designed around larger cassette sprockets. Shouldn't directly cause issues though.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    The derailleur cable housing looks to be resting on the QR axle nut.
    Does the position of the derailleur change if you pull the cable housing out so it doesn't rest on the nut.
    It looks to me like the cable housing has been cut too short.

What's the derailleur look like when the chain is on the small cog.
  • Difficult to know for certain but it is possibke that dérailleur has just moved off its locator perhasps vibration etc. Where your derasilluer is bolted on to the drop out. Undo a few turns on that bolt then push / rotate the deraileur anti clockwise so the top jockery wheel moves closer to cassetee. There is a guide for the derailkeur to be held in that correct place, so then tighten that bolt back up on to hanger in that correct position. Hope thast fixes it for you.
  • dot1
    njee20 wrote:
    Why such a close ratio block with a single ring? Bit limiting?

You won't get that mech all that close, it's designed around larger cassette sprockets. Shouldn't directly cause issues though.

The bike is used for commuting on roads, and I found myself only using gears 4-9 so replaced with a closer ratio cassette to give me more useable gears. Mech issue happened with a standard sized MTB cassette as well though.
    Gear cable isn't touching the QR skewer so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. When in top/smallest gear, the mech is in a much closer position to the cassette and the gap between the cassette and jockey wheel is much smaller. I'm suffering shifting issues in the bigger gears I think because the jockey wheel is too far from the cassette, meaning the chain can flex sideways a bit more allowing the mech to move when the gear is chained, but the chain staying where it is.

Not sure how clear I've made that.... :oops:
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Don't know if the following document is for your model or not but look at 'Note' and drawings in the 'Installation of the Rear Derailleur' section.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SLX/SI_5WM0A_002/SI-5WM0A-002-En_v1_m56577569830648288.pdf

The gap that's mentioned in the document is why I thought the cable housing is too short, it looks like it's not long enough to allow the derailleur bracket to rotate any further downwards on the derailleur hanger and eliminate the gap.
  • dot1
    Actually I think you could be right there, looking at that. It's definitely not right if the gap between the jockey wheel and largest gear is meant to be 5-6mm. Mine's about 5-6cm! Will have a play around with this tomorrow and maybe buy a new inner and outer an set it all up properly. Nice one.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012