Raidon Forks

Robbie669
Robbie669 Posts: 6
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I bought a Voodoo Hoodoo a couple of months ago after the reviews on here, but recently had trouble with the lock out on the forks.
Halfords agreed to change the forks under warranty, a week later they have changed the Raidon X1 forks with a set that just say Raidon.
When I asked the guy why they weren't X1's he said they were, but this is how they come now. There doesn't seem to be any details on the new forks to be able to determine what model forks they have fitted other then a serial number.
Is there another way of telling?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you got a picture?
  • Hope this helps
  • supersonic
    Can you remember if the old one had gold coloured stanchions and a rebound damping adjuster?
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    It kind of makes sense because the Forks were 2011 model on the Hoodoo originally and the 2013 models are out now. I have seen Hoodoo's with forks that look like that on and the Carrera Fury fork has the same decals which is a 2012 model fork.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOODOO-HOODOO ... 7675.l2557
  • I have a 2012 Hoodoo. The typeface on the outside of the lowers looks like the 2013 models. I'm no expert though.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • A close up of the lock out mech might help. I believe the old style was in the shape of a P.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Thanks for your replies.

Supersonic, I don't remember the old ones having a gold finish but perhaps not exactly a silver finish either but something in between.

LJ. If you look at the photos on the ebay link, the forks on that bike have an X1 sticker on the fork, mine don't.

I have also noted another couple of markings on the fork, it says the stanchion is 32mm STKM, but if you look on the Suntour website all the Raidon X1 stanchions are made of alloy, which one is better?
  • supersonic
    It really does depend on the model version of X1 that was on originally. They can come manufacturer specced.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    OK as a current Halfords cycle mechanic i'll give you a little info on how the process works in getting new parts on replacement/warranty.

Basically on the computer system in store we go to a section called 'spare by bike spec'. Once the model and year of bike is chosen, this will then give us a list of all the spare parts we do for that particular bike. If for instance we are searching a 2010 model of bike, the models of parts on it will most likely be no longer available, so the system will update them to the newer versions or most equivalent part if there is no newer model.

In your case with the Hoodoo, I assume it came with the 2011 Raidon X1 forks that are pictured on the bike on the website? As they are no longer available from our Suntour supplier (Greyville Enterprises), the newer most equivalent model will be on the system. So the forks you now have on the bike are a newer model, either 2012 or 2013 (they both look very similar on suntour's website). Now although it might not actually say 'X1' on them, all of the Raidon forks on their website that have the gold/non silver stantions are X1 forks. You can check for yourself, 2013 forks and 2012 forks. So whether you have the 12 or 13 forks, they certainly are X1 so you have nothing to worry about :)
  • supersonic
    But his forks have silver stanchions - so they are not X1. It also does not appear to have a rebound damper adjuster.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    supersonic wrote:
    But his forks have silver stanchions - so they are not X1. It also does not appear to have a rebound damper adjuster.

Hmm they look slightly 'gold'. I know that the 2011 Raidons only appeared to be 'slightly anodised' if you will. They don't have the strong colour of other forks but were better performing than your standard silver. Looks to me that these are in a simliar boat.

But yea i can't see a red rebound adjuster at the bottom of the right fork leg, but the nut at the bottom does look like it is sticking out rather far which makes me wonder if the red knob has been removed like on a RS fork. I'll check what fork comes up on the system in work tomorrow, as it could very well be just the RL and not the RL-R, in which case it would be a slight downgrade,
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    I can tell you that the raidon x3 has actually got x3 written on it. X1 has the remote lockout which I've been told will not fit onto the x1. :(
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    After looking on the suntour website again, I think having gold coloured stanchions is the only thing that differentiates the X1 from the other models. If it doesn't have rebound you should definitely take it back anyway. It looks like they scrapped the X2 and X3 models from the 2013 range and now only have X1 or just plain Raidon which I would guess yours is
  • A couple of photos showing the bottom of the forks.
  • supersonic
    Looks like there is an adjuster there after all. Does it turn?
  • Sorry for the ignorance, when you say adjuster I assume you mean the bolt head on the opposite side to the valve.
    It is a bolt that comes undone, but there is no adjustment.
  • supersonic
    In your last pic - a bit sticks out under the hex bolt. Is that the air valve? They do vary.
  • Jesus, talk about hard work. I have a Hoodoo and that is almost certainly a pic of your rebound adjuster. Have a twiddle and a pump and see what happens.
    Voodoo Hoodoo