London BIke show - best bits

stealf
stealf Posts: 49
edited January 2013 in Road general
WHo's been? what where your thoughts and what did yo think the best bits of it were?
I went Friday - Great day perving over frames, bits, wheels and all things cycle related. Best for me was the whole SPIN bikes stand - Beautiful bikes , the MODA stand (any words on their bikes as interested) and the girl modeling on the velovixen (http://www.velovixen.com) was pretty nice.
A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?

Comments

• I ride a Moda Intro - very nice bike, it's my first road bike so not a lot to compare it to. It handles very well, has some nice finishing kit IMO, and runs with Tiagra gearing for £700. The whole package is better than the sum of its parts!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    sounds like a complete waste of time then, the London show is never as good as the NEC one in October.
  • giant man wrote:
    sounds like a complete waste of time then, the London show is never as good as the NEC one in October.

It must be very poor then, went to the NEC one last year and it was shockingly shit IMO.
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Loved it. Picked up some awesome bargains (£150 jacket for £40; £50 tights for £15), saw some hawwwwt bikes and the folding bike race was really fun. Packed place, but everyone seemed nice and the trade stand people were friendly and chatty. Didn't need to eat lunch from all the energy bar samples on offer. Wish I had of gotten a ticket for Sunday too.

Interesting having the outdoor show and the boat show in the same building too. Some of the yachts were sweet.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    typekitty wrote:
    Loved it. Picked up some awesome bargains (£150 jacket for £40; £50 tights for £15), saw some hawwwwt bikes and the folding bike race was really fun. Packed place, but everyone seemed nice and the trade stand people were friendly and chatty. Didn't need to eat lunch from all the energy bar samples on offer. Wish I had of gotten a ticket for Sunday too.

Interesting having the outdoor show and the boat show in the same building too. Some of the yachts were sweet.

Tell me more about the folding race bike! I am currently on the look for one but cant find one anywhere!
  • typekitty
    solboy10 wrote:
    Tell me more about the folding race bike! I am currently on the look for one but cant find one anywhere!

It's part of the Nocturne series.

http://www.londonnocturne.com/foldingbikerace.php

Hope that helps!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Best bit for me was going home. Total waste of time and shall never go back. Nothing to buy, no new garmin to buy or try. Terrible waste of a day.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    giant man wrote:

It must be very poor then, went to the NEC one last year and it was shockingly shoot IMO.
    Yeah, I didn't go last year, but most years before that, which were all quite similar. The london one is shared with three other shows including the bleedin' boat show. Just wish the bike shows were more geared up for us, the rider and potential purchasers, should have stuff to buy and test ride offerings. Always seem to be a trade show, but with the public allowed in.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    And to add if you think it was small last year this year was I guess 25% smaller. Nothing to buy I wanted a set of carbon wheels but nobody could sell me any. Amazingly bad and will never go back. I'm going to go euro bike in Zurich for the day and make a weekend of it. The London one was nothing but a joke. The boat show for years has got progressively worse and I've Been going for thirty years, this year was also terrible for this, no yachts as such and companies are pulling out as you cannot have a rigged yacht as the roof is not as high as earls court. Shame.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I enjoyed it, went saturday. picked up some brochures and had a flick through them yesterday, for some spring upgrades....
  • I wasn't too impressed either to be honest. There were some nice bikes and kit to look at but nothing accessible to the average cyclist, no real shopping opportunities either... came home empty handed, though that was probably a good thing!
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • typekitty
    So the Cycle Show in Birmingham is deffo worth the trip?