New Wheelsmith 50x24mm Carbon Clinchers

13»

Comments

• Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    Buckles wrote:
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    maybe you caught him on a bad day!
    As a professional running a business, can you afford to base your treatment of your customers on whether or not you're having a good day?

Very rarely am I in a bad mood at work but if I treated my customers like sh1t each time, I'd be unemployed right now....

You don't take your emotions out on the people who spend money with you no matter how bad a day you're having.

Totally agree which is why the bad day comment was sort of a joke. Just wanted to offer some perspective on the topic as I have nothing but good feedback on Derek. If that ever changes, I'll be (un)happy to re-post.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • mjbennett wrote:
    Is that ironic?

Mr Wheelsmith's reply speaks volumes. Not even an acknowledgement of our complaints.
  • Nice bike! The Dolan Dual, while an older model, deserves more praise as a great all-round bike. Certainly more frugal than the joke of a £2,3000 Tifosi tested in C+ a few months back. The Tifosi ethos is cheap and cheerful, paying anything over £1000 for one should be banned.

Sadly, the industry hasn't gone the way of the Dolan Dual (long reach brakes and mud-guards etc), it's gone for boat-anchor steel frames with boat anchor disc brakes. Sigh....

Wider rims are great for sportive riders. They need the comfort and fat guys like me benefit from the added air volume.

But going back to "wider is better" this is false in absolute terms. If we all rode 20 or 21 mm tyres on a 404 that was proportionally smaller so it had the same shape as the regular 404, that would be more aerodynamic. Basically each tyre size needs a specific rim size too otherwise you have a mis-match in your overall shape.

But the industry decided that 23 or 25mm was where people were going so they designed for that. No complaints really, but for the track for example, that's the wrong way to go. I can get away with a 20mm tub and a narrow rim. This will disturb less air (for the same shape) than some 3cm wide rim.

I wouldn't say we've been fed a bunch of crap - the wheel makers don't always state their assumptions, that's all.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't understand why that Dolan has deep sections but has a whacking great big bag on the top tube and a pump hanging off the side of the downtube. Removing those would probably make for more aero advantage than the wheels would give. It also looks like the bars might be high although the photo is cut off. Don't get it.
  • PLEASE don't worry mfin. The Dual is my winter/all rounder and I couldn't resist putting the Wheelsmiths on to test them because they're new :-)

My little bag is for my gels so I don't get a winter gloved hand stuck in a rear jacket pocket.....and it's the aero version so it adds no drag :wink:

My bars are a little high but I'm an old man with a crook back!

The wheels have had some serious miles put on them with absolutely no issues in some pretty foul and windy weather. The braking seems to be improving too including an OMG, wet, downhill emergency stop.

As for the Dual (this is my 2nd) it's massively underrated. I regretted selling my first for a mistaken foray into Ti. It weighs exactly the same as the latest Tuono frame. Mine copes fine with 'short' drop calipers and Raceguards.

Ride and enjoy-break 'the rules' and reject convention!