2009 Ellsworth Epiphany

Shylock
Shylock Posts: 98
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Okay I have the option of buying an Ellsworth Epiphany second hand. It is a mk1 built in 2009. My only concern is that I hears about an issue with the magnesium trailing arm. I understand this was rectified but how do I know if mine has this weak magnesium part???

In addition what are people's experiences of riding this bike??

Comments

• miker
    miker Posts: 177
    131c898b.jpg

This is my old one, it was a very very nice bike to ride, fast, responsive and light.
  • Shylock
    Shylock Posts: 98
    Yep same frame, what forks were those...?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That looks real nice. Will it work with 140mm forks? Could be just what I'm looking for now that I have give up trying to find a good Turner 5-Spot frame.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Someone in the Classifieds was selling a Pitch frame for £200. if that is of interest.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    supersonic wrote:
    Someone in the Classifieds was selling a Pitch frame for £200. if that is of interest.

I would be interested if it had a better shock but by the time I pay £200 for the frame and another £300+ for a shock it's not really very good value. The X-Fusion shock is ok but I really want either an RP23 or CCDB coil depending on what frame I end up with.
  • kenton
    kenton Posts: 12
    The magnesium rockers are a darker slightly bronzed looking part. The pic above (which is an sst1) has an aluminium rocker. The alu rocker is silver and shiny.
    Ellsworth ict is one of the best Horst link design. (Possibly THE best) it pedals really well as long as your smooth. Stand up and bounce around , mashing the pedals and it will bob a lot, sit down or stand and spin smooth circles and its great.