Conti Rubber Queens

Alfie76
Alfie76 Posts: 12
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Im currently using rubber queens with a pressure of 30psi, my usual trails are Brechfa & Afan.

My question is what pressures are best for rubber queens as I find the front tyre does lose grip from time to time, or is it my choice of tyre for the trails I ride?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Personal choice. Which model are they?
    TYres lose grip when you go too fast.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Alfie76
    Alfie76 Posts: 12
    Tubeless!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Compound?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • well i dont have the rubber queens but i have been useing the mountain kings 2 (2.2) and i have been running them at 30psi the tyre it self is great but because ive been running them at a low 30psi ive damaged them. the side walls are spliting. ive brought anouther tyre of the same to replace it but i will be looking at something with a higher tpi in the future. so be carefull and after your rides have a look at your tyres
  • running out of grip is usually too fast or more often than not, poor riding technique
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'll go with Smoothy here. I run Conti RCs in the black chili guise and they are awesome. If you are running black chili (I think the way to tell is to see if there are little crown impressions between the tread blocks) then you maybe need to rethink your cornering. If not, I've heard the cheaper compound isn't very exciting. However, BC is very expensive so you might want to consider the better priced High Roller when yours are out of tread.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Shit unless they're black chilli compound
  • Brechfa is slippery full stop in the wet due to the slatey surface. Its generally smooth though - you could try dropping the front to 26-27psi and see how the tyre responds. If good try the rear as well. Afan is more likely to send you packing with the odd pinch flat so I'd be more cautious dropping the rear tyre pressure but again the front could be grippier with less air.

Nothing should stop you experimenting with less pressures to see how it feels - take a good hand pump (perhaps one with a pressure gauge) and actually tinker around one day whilst your on the trails - see what works.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    try this as a "guide"

http://mtb.ubiqyou.com/
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    As well as the compound, it also depends on the size as the 2.4's have a reinforced side wall meaning you can get away with lower psi. I run my 2.4 bc with a slightly heavier tube on the front and get away with c 20psi riding on the rock of the Peak District. Gives amazing grip. The 2.2 bc rear, anything less than 28psi and I pinch flat all the time