iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2013 in Pro race
In 2007, the Chicken rode the Tour on

- five bloodbags
- 100.000 unit of EPO
- cortisone
- human growth hormones

From a Dutch paper today. And everyone's fave saddle sore doctor didn't consider EPO doping because you couldn't get caught for it.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Contador, of course, was on the bread and water, his performance enhanced only by the righteous desire not to let the dastardly Dane get away with it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ok. What's the crack with HGH. Advantages?

Alsk I'd be very surprised if he wasn't on a load of fat strippers in training too.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ok. What's the crack with HGH. Advantages?

Alsk I'd be very surprised if he wasn't on a load of fat strippers in training too.

I would like some fat strippers. I just can't put the cake down :(
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't on a load of fat strippers in training too.

female?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    5 blood bags is a lot compared to what Hamilton says he did.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    What that shows particularly is the lack of progress made against doping during the 2000s, as that's basically the same cocktail as Armstrong and USPS was using 5 years before.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    NRC, dutchnewspaper, reporting today goes a bit beyond Rasmussen : http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2013/01/19/al- ... bankploeg/

Says the Rabo team has used doping since 1996, following a Jan Raas management-led decision, 'because other teams were doing it'. It suggests it was mostly the Tour de France team using epo. Based on anonymous confessions of team members at the time, and Thomas Dekker more openly
  • iainf72
    I think there is a lot more in the print edition - Heard anything else FJS?

I did read that Riis warned Raas about the Chicken in 2002, something like that anyway
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    What sort of period before the Tour would you need to extract the blood, 5 bags seems a lot. Based on what Hamilton said the freezing process seemed to make things a lot more complex logistically.
  • Their team doctor is EXACTLY the kind of doctor I would recruit for my zero tolerance cycling team.

Nothing to see here, move along. I'll leave it to my pet journalist from the Telegraph to go into detail as to how I run such a squeaky clean team.....

How any cyclist can say the problems are in the past is beyond me!
  • Their team doctor is EXACTLY the kind of doctor I would recruit for my zero tolerance cycling team.

Nothing to see here, move along. I'll leave it to my pet journalist from the Telegraph to go into detail as to how I run such a squeaky clean team.....

How any cyclist can say the problems are in the past is beyond me!

Very easy to say when all this starts comes to light after the person has been on a new team for 18 months or whatever, presumably lying through their back teeth to get the job in the first place. The first time any claim ws made to implicate Leinders was in May last year in an interview given by De Rooy. Even well-established cycling journos admitted that this was the first time they'd heard anything about him.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Their team doctor is EXACTLY the kind of doctor I would recruit for my zero tolerance cycling team.
    In that case would you also:

a) list him clearly on your website and have him give quotes to the media
    b) have him on the company pay roll, thereby excluding plausible denyability
    c) take him to one week stage races, for which you can dope beforehand, but not take him to Grand Tours
    d) for the races he is going to with Wiggins, also take Danny Pate, one of the most rapidly anti-doping riders in the peloton.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Their team doctor is EXACTLY the kind of doctor I would recruit for my zero tolerance cycling team.

c) take him to one week stage races, for which you can dope beforehand, but not take him to Grand Tours
    d) for the races he is going to with Wiggins, also take Danny Pate, one of the most rapidly anti-doping riders in the peloton.

Not forgetting all of the Tour squad training camps where Pate was always part of the squad training with Wiggins
  • RichN95.
    Back on the topic of Rasmussen, you don't never hear Greg LeMond talk about the time he was his coach. Funny that.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Yes I would and if questioned about it I would use the 'dead soigneur' defence.

How did Pate go on the Tour and the Tenerife training camps?

Only now does working with Ferrari look dodgy, years ago people would happily admit it. As fans we've been fooled once, I suppose we need to be careful we aren't fooled again.
  • RichN95.
    How did Pate go on the Tour and the Tenerife training camps?
    He didn't. Neither did Leinders. Whenever, Leinders was with Wiggins, so was Pate.
    Only now does working with Ferrari look dodgy, years ago people would happily admit it. As fans we've been fooled once, I suppose we need to be careful we aren't fooled again.
    Ferrari was making his comments about EPO and orange juice in the mid 90s. He's been thought of a dodgy since before Armstrong met him
  • Fair enough.

I'l happily take a bike riders word that they are clean. Why on earth would they lie to us?

Glad that's all cleared up!
  • Ok. What's the crack with HGH. Advantages?

Chicken drumsticks?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Back on the topic of Rasmussen, you don't never hear Greg LeMond talk about the time he was his coach. Funny that.

What? That one has passed me by. When was that?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

What? That one has passed me by. When was that?

Ages ago. 1997, when he was a mountain biker. It's mentioned in this race report (bottom of the middle column)

http://oldsite.uci.ch/english/mtb/world ... c8men.html

(Notice also that an apparent lifelong wheelsucker until 2009 goes on the attack and beats everyone by a minute and a half)
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295

You know when you google something before you've thought about exactly what it is you were typing...

:shock: :oops: :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    yeah yeah that old chestnut... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    ddraver wrote:
    yeah yeah that old chestnut... ;)

She was brunette actually! :lol:
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Five bags of blood -- wouldn't his heart explode?
  • iainf72
    Bakunin wrote:

Not all at once old bean
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

Not all at once old bean

I know -- but even over 23 days that seems over the top.

I doubt Ricky Ricco, even if he could figure out how to use a fridge, would pump 5 bags.
  • FJS
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think there is a lot more in the print edition - Heard anything else FJS?

I did read that Riis warned Raas about the Chicken in 2002, something like that anyway
    Broadsheet NRC did the investigating work, but kept most of it behind its pay-for secton. Tabloid AD has the key elements on its website, nothing new really http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1018/Wielrennen/ ... loeg.dhtml
    Van Houwelingen is already denying, saying we should focus on what happened last year with Frank Schleck and The Contador case rather than what happened 15 years ago http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1018/Wielrennen/ ... oken.dhtml . He has a point
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    "Evans was followed by Dane Michael Rasmussen (Trek-Volkswagen) and Jerome Chiotti (FRA, GT), both of whom lead the race before finally falling victim to cramps and a very well prepared Evans."

Huh huh huh
  • FJS
    Danny Nelissen confesses, quite openly and casually: http://nos.nl/video/463899-oudwielrenne ... bruik.html
    He says he used epo during the 96 and 97 tour de frances when at Rabobank. Says it was all organised by the team, he didnt have to pay anything. Administred by team doctor. Also says he didnt personally see any if the big riders like Boogerd dope, as it all happened individually through team doctors. No stories of sharing of coke cans and bloood bags taped to the wall.
    He also says that prior to 96 the team was openly mocked in the peloton as softies for not using epo

Nelissen is interesting, as after an early career at TVM he had to stop as a pro because of hart problems, went back to ride as an amateur, and won the amateur world champs (beating all the climbers at Duitama), before going back to te pros. He now works for Eurosport
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    dougzz wrote:
    "Evans was followed by Dane Michael Rasmussen (Trek-Volkswagen) and Jerome Chiotti (FRA, GT), both of whom lead the race before finally falling victim to cramps and a very well prepared Evans."

Huh huh huh

Rasmussen and Chiotti. Esteemed company :wink: