Other options, Grand Canyon al 6.0

raldat
raldat Posts: 242
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
So after lots of research, I am thinking of the Grand Canyon AL 6.0 as the replacement to my really old and crappy modified Schwinn from 2001 that I am still riding and racing (badly) at basic club XC events here in Denmark. Given that it has the loathed Dart 3 forks on it, poor geometry from fitting a slightly to long fork, weighs 13.5 kg and still uses v brakes at the rear anything is a step up.

So before I take the plunge has anyone who has been considering this bike found nothing better for a similar style bike for a similar price?

Link and specs below to assist.

I know this is a UK forum and I am in Denmark but being an Aussie, my Danish is not great so I hang out here. I don't expect others to know what is available in Denmark and what is not. I will work that out from any suggestions made.

Any assistance appreciated.

Link
http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ab-reiter2

Specs

Price £850
Frame Canyon New F8 Technology
Fork RockShox Reba RL
Headset Acros AiX-03
Rear Derailleur
Shimano XT RD-M781
Front Derailleur
Shimano SLX E-Type 3x10
Shifters
Shimano SLX SL-M670
Brake levers
Avid Elixir 1
Brakes
Avid Elixir 1
Hubs
Mavic Crossride Disc
Cassette
Shimano CS-HG 62 10s 11-36
Rims
Mavic Crossride Disc
Tyres
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25“, Racing Ralph 2.25“ Evolution Line
Cranks
Shimano Deore FC-M 590-10
Chainrings 42/32/24
Bottom Bracket
Shimano Deore FC-M590
Stem Iridium SL
Handlebar Iridium SL 680mm
Grips Canyon Bracelets
Saddle Selle Italia X1
Seat post Iridium SL
Pedals none included
Weight 11,20 kg

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    That Canyon looks superb for the cash, as do the Radons
  • Found this thread googling the same question you ask. The answer appears to be no. Canyon it is.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Found this thread googling the same question you ask. The answer appears to be no. Canyon it is.
    Yes, seems to be so. Have not pulled the trigger yet (trying to convince she who mud be obeyed that this is more important than a new bed for the three year old), but I really can't find anything that suits me better.

The only thing I dislike is the Avid Exlir brakes. I am not a hater of Avid, but I have one on the front of my old heap. It is ok, but not my first choice. It would be a fairly cheap upgrade to Deores not far down the track though.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Don't know exactly how it is in Denmark, but here here in Sweden the biggest recommendation you'll get for your budget will be Radon. Tbh there doesn't seem to be much in it though. Pick the one you think looks better.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I think they only thing you need to decide is 26 or 29in wheels....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver